Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5wt Trout Reel

1. Default 5wt Trout Reel

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice on a new trout reel. I seriously need to upgrade mine.

It'll be matched with a Greys XF2 Streamflex 9' 5wt. I definitely want domething with a drag system (no click/pawl), preferrably sealed. I've been looking at reels in the 200-300$ range but I'm not quite sure how much I'd like to spend yet.

Some of the reels I've been considering are the new Hardy Ultralite DD, Lamson Guru or Velocity, Ross Evolution LT, Redington Rise, and the Orvis Hydros (which is particularly appealing right now because it's on sale)

Any info and advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

sbreech Guest

Default Re: 5wt Trout Reel

Since you got the Grey's, I'd say a Hardy would "match" it, but for me, on this weight of rod, going for a sealed drag, there would only be one choice - Nautilus FWX 5/6. $275 on the 'bay, free shipping.

Blog Entries

In my opinion and experience, everything you have named is just fine for most freshwater use. I usually look at bearings, drag and arbor, but of course aesthetics play a small part. If you want the reel that is on sale then buy it, should work for years to come.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

4. Likes shotgunfly liked this post

Can't go wrong with Lamson or Ross

A lot of these reels are more reel than you need, and more than you need to spend, for that kind of fishing and that rod. Right now at flyshopcloseouts.com you can get a Lamson Konic 1.5 for $90 or a Konic 2.0 for $97 that will do the job just fine, and they come with the same Lamson drag as the better Lamson models.

7. Likes Kerry Pitt liked this post
  8. Default Re: 5wt Trout Reel

Thanks for the advice guys.

Moucheur2003 - I've considered the Konic for a while, but decided to go with a higher priced reel because I put mine through a lot of abuse and feel that some of the other reels will hold up better.

I'm becoming a broken record recommending the Ultralite DD but I've never been quite as pleased with a reel purchase as I've been with this reel. Sweetandsalt recommended it to me and he has some interesting insights into the finer points of it's design. I found mine (4000) for under $200.00; it's truly a fine piece of craftmanship that's certainly not overpriced IMO.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

10. Likes leithel liked this post

I am a Hardy fan so the DD is the first answer from me, but I also have the Redington Rise and it is a great reel also.

I just like Hardy for their quality and growing up my grandfather always had Hardy so I guess I am bias haha

12. Likes wannafish liked this post

I like Ross reels, IMHO they use plastic where it needs to be used to reduce corrosion potential.

Look at the Evolutions used on Ebay and on line fly shop used posts. The #3 Evolution (not LT) below is mounted on my 5wt TFO, got it for $150 used at a fly shop. Drag is superbe.

Pete A.

14. Likes wannafish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pete a View Post
    I like Ross reels, IMHO they use plastic where it needs to be used to reduce corrosion potential.

Look at the Evolutions used on Ebay and on line fly shop used posts. The #3 Evolution (not LT) below is mounted on my 5wt TFO, got it for $150 used at a fly shop. Drag is superbe.

Pete A.

This reel is a serious workhorse, I use a #2 on my 5-wt and a #3 for my freshwater 6-7.

Love Lamson, too, and those Hardys look awesome, I gotta admit... But the original Evolution (which weighs LESS that the LT, btw, which I've heard some people mistakenly call the "Evo Light") is my favorite reel. I'll have them forever, and I'll bet they hold up!

I really like the way they look, and I love the way they sound.
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast