Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Abel Reels

Blog Entries

Default Re: Abel Reels

I was gifted a set of Abel Brook Trout nippers from Chi and they are by far one of my most treasured gifts ever. Ironically enough I gifted Abel Nippers to Chi that same Christmas.

They are excellent pieces of equipment to have. Are they necessary? Not by any means because there are tons of alternatives, but they sure are nice to have and unbelievably beautiful to look at. I've used mine for a full year now and haven't noticed them dull in the least bit. Before those, I'd go through at least one pair of cheap nippers per season. I keep mine on the lanyard and they're always right where I need them.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I can't speak for their reels as they never quite fit my needs or desires but the luggage Abel once made was simply superb.
    It was made right here in the states and has since been cloned by many other manufacturers.
    I have their 10 Day bag and a many pocketed gear bag.
    I'm just glad I got them before they stopped making them.

I did not mean to disparage the Able company or anyone that owns their fine gear. I believe in quality tools and gear and always buy the best that I can afford to a reasonable degree.

I just get cranky about constantly being sold things, more things, better things to replace the things I have that work just fine. It's a societal illness. And I'm as sick as most, I just like to try to remind myself of it sometimes - a little reality check once in a while. Perspective is important.

4. Likes littledavid123, Gerard, wt bash liked this post
    Blog Entries

Fishing is supposed to be fun and it's something that came from humble roots if you think about it. We have things so much in excess of what or forefathers did it is ridiculous if you really think about it. Then again, we live in the world of bigger, stronger, improved, faster, better.

For years, I bought equipment that was middle of the line at best and it always did me just fine. Now I'm at a point where I can spend a little more and buy nicer gear and more gear that truthfully I don't NEED.

Buy what you can afford, what you need and enjoy your time on the water. That's what this sport is all about and over the last few years in particular I am focusing more and more on just being out there and doing it.

Right on Jaybo!! Post of the day!!!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

When I was looking for reels it took me a long time to decide and I went with Abel, it wasnt easy paying that much money especially after the custom paint job and the bells and whistles came to almost $1300 up here in Canada. It wasnt just about the reel to me but it was the experiance, once i received it it was awesome.

I went fishing with it and everytime I looked at it, it brought a smile to my face. Its the craftsmanship, the sound of it and everything that goes with it that just brings peace and happines to me.

When you are out in the country/wild only person on the water, and you hear the reel spin and echo its just different. Words cant really describe that feeling and neither can a cheeper reel.
    Last edited by 1move; 01-19-2013 at 12:00 AM.

8. Likes stuie675, leithel, jaybo41, coug, superflygirl liked this post

Here they are its becoming an obsession

10. Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    For years, I bought equipment that was middle of the line at best and it always did me just fine. Now I'm at a point where I can spend a little more and buy nicer gear and more gear that truthfully I don't NEED.

Buy what you can afford, what you need and enjoy your time on the water. That's what this sport is all about and over the last few years in particular I am focusing more and more on just being out there and doing it.
    It's not what you "don't need" or do, that's not the point. Anyone can go out and buy a mid grade rod and reel and i'm sure it will work just fine. The point is to have something special. It's made in America unlike some of the competition that's made in China. The hand painted art work is magnificent, you just can't find that kind of stuff anywhere. I have an Abel reel and i wouldn't trade it for the world. Don't get me wrong its not just the 'pretty art work' that attracted me to Abel its the engineering, the workmanship and quality that comes along with it. It's not just the function of the equipment, it's the fact that you love what you have that makes it even more enjoyable.

11. Likes stuie675, Guest1, N/A, jaybo41, leithel, 1move liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superflygirl View Post
    It's not what you "don't need" or do, that's not the point. Anyone can go out and buy a mid grade rod and reel and i'm sure it will work just fine. The point is to have something special. It's made in America unlike some of the competition that's made in China. The hand painted art work is magnificent, you just can't find that kind of stuff anywhere. I have an Abel reel and i wouldn't trade it for the world. Don't get me wrong its not just the 'pretty art work' that attracted me to Abel its the engineering, the workmanship and quality that comes along with it. It's not just the function of the equipment, it's the fact that you love what you have that makes it even more enjoyable.
    Welcome to the forum superflygirl. Good post, I'm right there with you. While it's true I've got more gear than I may need, I absolutely enjoy collecting it as much as fishing it. My point in the previous post is that my grandfather had one rod and reel, he used it to fish everywhere for any of the species he was fishing for. He just did it. I feel blessed in many ways that I'm fortunate enough to purchase as much tackle as I do, let alone the quality of it. Most all Rest assured, you don't need to sell me on the craftsmanship of Abel reels with or without graphics. I own two of them, a PT .5 and a Super 4. I love looking at them as much as I enjoy fishing with them. You've got good taste

13. Likes superflygirl, 1move liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
    I dont understand. Why are abel reels so much more expensive? Can the drag system really make that much of a difference?
    I guess it's because some people are willing to pay the high price. Certainly isn't necessary on brook trout. It just satisfies the urge to spend alot to get what you think is the best. If you are willing to spend that much on a reel you should be willing to spend at least as much on a rod !

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    Fishing is supposed to be fun and it's something that came from humble roots if you think about it. We have things so much in excess of what or forefathers did it is ridiculous if you really think about it. Then again, we live in the world of bigger, stronger, improved, faster, better.

Well said, very well said.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast