Abel Reels

ckalanik

Reaction score
I dont understand. Why are abel reels so much more expensive? Can the drag system really make that much of a difference?

shorthaul

Reaction score
Abel reels are very nicely finished, machined from bar stock to very close tolerances and are some of the nicest reels around. I own a super 8 and use it for saltwater fishing for lines up to size 10. As far as the drag goes, its superb.

tlcrep

Reaction score
I dont understand. Why are abel reels so much more expensive? Can the drag system really make that much of a difference?
You can buy a nice looking large arbor bar stock reel from Great Bay Rods that is nice looking and has machined one way clutch bearing system on them...zero backlash, even with the drag set to zero, and a fully sealed carbon fiber drag system and positive spool lock up for $100 for reels in 3/4 weight and 5/6 weight. These drags are used on tuna and even bigger fish for saltwater fish in Australia in 7/8 and 9/11 weights. Using them for a steelhead or salmon of a lifetime is a non issue.

But these reels dont have the anodizing of Abel, they are not made in the USA, it is the difference between driving a Hyundai versus a Mercedes. What Would you rather drive, a $12k car or a $100k car? Functionally they are about the same, but the craftsmanship by a US maker? the better craftsmanship? The better anodization? Plus, buying a product manufactured in the USA supports a manufacturer job in the USA. Something very important to think about when making your purchases in these times of recession, and talk of unemployment.

Joe D

Reaction score
Yes, the drag can make that much of a difference... depending on what you're fishing for. But the drag isn't the only factor. The quality of the materials, the quality of manufacture and the r & d that goes into a reel are just as important.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ckalanik,

If you can afford to buy an Able or Tibor reel it is money well spent. These are lifetime reels for the most sever saltwater fishing. When you are done with it, your son can use it for another lifetime. Able still uses a cork based drag that is as good as it gets.

Frank

tlcrep

Reaction score
Hi ckalanik,

If you can afford to buy an Able or Tibor reel it is money well spent. These are lifetime reels for the most sever saltwater fishing. When you are done with it, your son can use it for another lifetime. Able still uses a cork based drag that is as good as it gets.

Frank
Frank is right, Able is a work of art to be cherished, other reels may be just as functional but are merely that, functional. It is like someone asking why buy a original Picasso when they can buy a reproduction for $10?

Is cork based really better than carbon fiber based? I heard carbon fiber disc drags were better.

shorthaul

Reaction score
I have the Abel Super 8 , a Tibor Gulfstream and a Billy Pate Tarpon, i use all three in saltwater fishing for tarpon, bonefish, stripers and false albacore. All of them have a cork drag that can be tightened til the hook pulls or something else breaks---how much better do they have to be?

Pocono

Reaction score
True confession time.

I gave my wife an Abel 5N (large arbor, narrow spool configuration) for her 5 wt. rod just after Christmas. It was a recommendation from my local Fly shop. I myself usually fish a Ross Evolution 2.0 on my 5 wt. and I like it just fine.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I swapped rods with her and, man, that Abel is a really nice reel! It simply feels like a quality instrument. Both with line coming in and going out. The drag is silky smooth and the feel is simply solid and confidence building.

Based on this very limited experience (I'm almost ready to give her rod back to her), I think that Abel reels are probably well worth the money. As for me, I'm now headed for an Abel Creek for my 7'6" 3 wt., which I use for small stream fishing - and I'm really looking forward to getting on the water with it!

GLuXuRy

Reaction score
my paps and i both use Ables

we both love them

but dont go broke buying one .. get it if you can afford it

BigCliff

Reaction score
If you want a great reel with a cork drag, Abel is easily one of the top three options. All three of those top options will be priced about like the Abel. (Pate is an exception, but the lack of expensive porting makes them pretty heavy too.)

There is an ongoing debate about whether cork or sealed synthetic drag is best, but for a long time it will be true that cork drag fly reels have landed more big fish on a fly rod.

It is also undeniable that cork drags require a bit more maintenance: you MUST completely back the drag off after each use to prevent compression of the cork, and you MUST occasionally treat the cork with neatsfoot oil to keep it from drying out. Cork drags aren't nearly so effective when all the life has been squashed out of them or when they are so dry they're crumbly.

ezamora

Reaction score
from what i've gathered from testimonials of real world use, the higher quality in the manufacturing process, proven-design, quality of material, reputation/longevity of the company and it's attention to details and most importantly, the reliability of the reel in big fish situations is what sets abels (and the few others in that category) apart from other MUCH less-expensive reels.

don't let the high price force you into believing you NEED reels of this caliber but if you can afford it, i would imagine the reel would last a very long time, long enough to hand it down to others once you've left this world.

since i do not have reels of this caliber (sticking to $250 and under, and even then, bought used when talking about the higher priced onces i own), i am purely speculating from what i've read.

eric
fresno, ca.

juanc

Reaction score
I would not buy an Abel reel as the company is owned by a Madoff, as per the infamous Bernie Madoff. And this fact is reflected in their prices, and nefarious service.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The company is run and the reels designed by the same folks as when Steve and Gina Abel owned it. The Madoff connection is a a group of investors and people are still innocent till proven guilty of something. Abels are top flight reels and for an angler pursuing large strong fish, particularly in the salt, these reels are a lifetime investment.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I will take the Hyundai over the Mercedes. Something about having a reliable vehicle.

The reason their reels are so expensive is the same reason their clippers are $50 or even $100 with a pattern on them. It is simply because people will pay it.

plecain

Reaction score
I will take the Hyundai over the Mercedes. Something about having a reliable vehicle.

The reason their reels are so expensive is the same reason their clippers are $50 or even $100 with a pattern on them. It is simply because people will pay it.
There's another aspect to this.
Porsches and Ferraris and Nikon D4s and Abel reels will do things that lesser brands or models just won't do.
The question then becomes "Is it worth it to pay for one of those? Will I be able to drive my Ferrari to the max that it can do? Do I really need a camera that can take 10 frames/second, all day, every day?"
This of course ignores the "But I can afford it, and I want it" aspect;).

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Porches and Ferrari are surely spectacular super luxury items. A D4 may well be a necessity if you were a professional sports photog, though a bit heavy and cumbersome to take astream. If, however, you are a bonefisher expending the bucks to travel to the Bahamas for example, then you NEED a reel reliable and maintainable in any environment, with a perfect aspect ratio, salt and marle proof, powerful and quadrupole redundant drag (2 dogs with 2 springs each when one will do) designed and intended to provide 2 lifetimes of reliable and pleasurable high performance use...then you really only have a very small number of reels to choose from and Abel, which offers more fine tunable selection and options than also excellent Tibor may well be a necessity. Yes, I am fishing several very good sealed drag reels bonefishing but I would never venture to a destination without bringing a cork, draw-bar reel too. If something were to go awry with a sealed drag, unlikely as that may be, you can do nothing about it in the field. An Abel can be field striped with no tools other than a dime to loosen the lock nut.

surface film

Reaction score
I don't really think you can say anything negative about the quality of any high end fly reels made today, more or less it comes down to personal preference.

The Abel Super 5N I bought a few months ago from Dave @ Caster's Fly Shop is one of "if not the nicest" fly reel I have ever owned. Sure there is a little bit more maintenance that goes with this type of reel in comparison to some of the sealed carbon fiber drag reels out there today, but that does not bother me. The craftsmanship in this reel is astonishing in every aspect. Not my first cork drag, but my first Abel "other than the C&P Abel Creek I have had for years" and I am sort of bummed I waited so many years to buy one now.

I have read statements from reel manufacturers that carbon fiber is in reality better than cork in every aspect, I am sure this is somewhat due to the fact if someone forgets to loosen their drag after every use, it can make the drag surface uneven and obviously hurts the start up and "smoothness" of the drag. Even though this is at no fault of the reel manufacturer, it's going to leave a bad taste in someones mouth after they just dropped major coin on a reel. That is where I feel a lot of the negative comments come from regarding cork drags.

There may be some advantages to carbon fiber vs. cork, but I have never heard of anyone who was hooked up to a fish say, they lost a fish due to a failed cork drag system. I have never felt I was under-gunned with any of the current drag systems on the market, so to me it all boils down to what you like and are willing to spend.

I doubt you will be unsatisfied with the quality of an Abel reel or anything they make for that matter.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Just realized how old the original post was, talk about dredging up an old post LOL

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I would not buy an Abel reel as the company is owned by a Madoff, as per the infamous Bernie Madoff. And this fact is reflected in their prices, and nefarious service.
Welcome to the forums, feel free to share an intro about yourself and maybe some other positive information.