Hatch reels-Large Arbor or Mid Arbor

Gerard

Reaction score
I'm about to get a Hatch 7Plus for my 8wt TFO BVK but can't work out which size arbor would be best. It'll be used for bone fishing. 200yds backing has always been plenty IMHO, but would the mid arbor allow a larger line...say 9/10wt?

Many thanks.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I mate a Hatch 7+ to my Scott S4s #8 and load it with an Airflo Tropic Ridge #8. A great reel, sold and smooth and a pleasure to use. But backing space is too constricted for my taste and I would recommend the "mid" arbor version. You loose nothing; diameter and width remain the same, you simply get more depth for additional backing...and I like #30 for improved mangrove abrasion resistance.

Gerard

Reaction score
I mate a Hatch 7+ to my Scott S4s #8 and load it with an Airflo Tropic Ridge #8. A great reel, sold and smooth and a pleasure to use. But backing space is too constricted for my taste and I would recommend the "mid" arbor version. You loose nothing; diameter and width remain the same, you simply get more depth for additional backing...and I like #30 for improved mangrove abrasion resistance.
Perfect. Just what I needed. Thanks very much.
Best
Gerard