Set Up Question

troutbanger20

Reaction score
I am buying a 7wt rod, and have a 5-6 reel and do not want to buy another reel. Should I put 6wt line on the reel and use it on the 7wt rod or ditch some backing and put 7wt line on the 5-6wt reel. The reel is a lamson konic.

williamhj

Reaction score
I don't think there'd be a problem putting a 7wt line on. What are you targeting? Any chance they'd get out all your line and backing?

axle27

Reaction score
IF you're not into getting a new reel, ditch some backing. My only concern, sometimes, is balance. Some think this is important, others do not. I find that a properly balanced rod is easier to cast all day.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Another option is 50lb braided fishing line. Pretty much gell spun backing. It is a lot thinner than 20lb backing so you can fit a lot more on and some brands have hi-viz colors if thats what you like. Power Pro makes red and I think Suffix makes a hi-viz orange.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Yep, check out the lamson konic. The recently discontinued model of it can be found for around $100 brand new. My girlfriend just got the Konic 4 for $129 with free shipping. I THINK you would want the Konic 3 but double check to make sure that is the correct line weights before you order if you decide to. Personally, I like this discontinued version a lot better than the new one. They are the same reel, the new one is just 3 different colors which I personally dont like at all. The drag knob is dark grey like the older konic, the reel frame is black and the spool is silver like the lamson guru.

williamhj

Reaction score
If you're looking for reel closer to $50 I have a couple of reels from The Angler's Roost. They are machined and I like the look for them. They've worked well for me and I have had a few fish on the drag. Depending on what you're fishing for on that 7wt it could be a good way to go.