Custom fly reel handles?

trout333

Reaction score
I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 fly reel and am fancy to the idea of getting a cool new handle. Are there any knurled handles or other decorative quality accessories available in the market place? I see Abel makes replacement handles for their reels. Are most handles universal?

Anyone else know where to get the neatest accessories for rods, reels, etc?

stuie675

Reaction score
You could start this and make some money haha, but yeah same as Dan I have never heard of anyone messing with the handle.

williamhj

Reaction score
There was someone at the Denver Fly Fishing show who makes some pretty amazing custom rod grips and other accessories out of wood. Look up Green Drake Rods, he's down here in the Denver area. He's a really nice guy and gave me some good pointers making wood grips. I don't know if he replaces reel handles, but could be worth an ask. I've bought reel seat inserts from Dave Winslow, whose in the Denver area as well and he could be another good person to check with.

trout333

Reaction score
It's pressure cooked in a resin. Some of it they dye the resin. Some of it is even dyed twice. It soaks into the harder parts last so you get a two or three color effect. I put it in my rods a lot.

My 10 wt. with double dyed/stabilized box elder burl.
Beautiful woods! I'd love to have a shiny custom wood carved or turned handle. Maybe even painted. This is overboard but wood trimmed in aluminum, nickel, anything. Maybe set a couple diamonds, lol!!! Who doesn't want the setup with a 14k gold trimmed brazilian cherry handle? That would be so cool...

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I got a Venelli Nickle/Silver hardware, Cherry crotch seat I'm saving for the right rod. I did a Brazilian Rosewood Burl insert for a rod I did for a friend. That was one of the prettiest pieces of wood I ever saw. I promised it to him before I turned it or I might have put it on a rod for myself. :teef: The reason I said to use stabilized wood is that it will be small and your wet fingers on it all the time. When they are stabilized they are as much plastic as wood and you don't have problems like swelling when they are wet or the humidity is high, split along the grain first time you crank it hard or bang it. It's good stuff and you can get it in a lot of woods. Burls are something you can get in stabilized form. There is even a company that will stabilize your wood for you. It's not cheap to have done though and you can't just send them a handle sized piece to do. The best thing for a small project like that is a pen blank. In fact the best person to turn it for you is a guy who does pens. They have the small mandrels you need. I have the stuff to turn seat inserts and make you a really nice table leg but I'd have to buy a smaller mandrel to turn a handle that or turn it on a live center with the hole in it on a bigger piece..... It could be done, but I'd find a pen guy.

noreaster

Reaction score
I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 fly reel and am fancy to the idea of getting a cool new handle. Are there any knurled handles or other decorative quality accessories available in the market place? I see Abel makes replacement handles for their reels. Are most handles universal?

Anyone else know where to get the neatest accessories for rods, reels, etc?
I suspect you are talking about the little black plastic handle on your Allen reel?

Stabilized wood, is treated to where the wood basically has the propertiess of hardened plastic due to the resin impregnation process. The wood will never get truly wet and swell and crack from moisture.

I am sure someone makes a custom reel handle if you dig enough. I wouldn't mind one myself for my Trout II.

plecain

Reaction score
A number of people on ebay offer replacement handles for a lot of different reels.

I suspect at least some of these vendors would make whatever you want for a price.

trout333

Reaction score

dean_mt

Reaction score

r reese

Reaction score
you got me thinking I have some wolly mamoth ivory knife handle scraps i may turn one out with drill

noreaster

Reaction score
you got me thinking I have some wolly mamoth ivory knife handle scraps i may turn one out with drill
Now you're talkin' Would love to see that.
Maybe you could post a build-along, for all of us to try.
The drill bit, would it be a dowel making bit you're thinking of?
Also have to figure out the internal hardware. Wonder how complicated it would be?

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
There's a guy on rod builders.org or fiberglass fly rod forum that does custom knobs. I'll try to find his info when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning.

stuie675

Reaction score
Will these aluminum ones fit properly with an Allen reel? Its tough finding anything out there that is already made to fit most reels I guess???
No clue lol I just foudn those

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

How about $100 money clips?

Abel Automatics, Inc. :: Apparel :: Abel Money Clip by M-Clip (Standard Colors)

"Holds approximately ten bills and 5 credit cards." :teef:

And that is for the cheap ones! Check out the fancy fish spot money clips...oye
Lol one of my clips cost about 180, it is pure silver that my ex got me a few years ago, surprisingly I use my Titanium one most often haha

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

$40.oo!!!!!!!Holy smokes. Maybe I should go into the handle business. If that's what you get for a silly anodized one...... :surprise:
Yeah it is a bit much. Just trying to get him started haha hopefully there are some people that can get the same quality for a lower price.

I am guessing Abel does not sell them that often which may be the reason for high pricing.