Ross 8wt Gunnison v Ross Evolution

barham

Reaction score
I own and fish the 8wt Gunnison. I hear great things about the Evolution. How to they compare and should I consider buying the Evolution in lieu of the old Gunnison which I like.
Someone tell not to do it!
barham

silver creek

Reaction score
I'd get the older and original Evolution off of Ebay. It weighs less than the newer Evolution LT.

The older Evo 3.5 is 4.5 oz and the newer Evo LT 3.5 is 4.8 oz. Both hold 8 wt lines. The newer evo has the same spool width but is .1" greater in diameter.

caseywise

Reaction score
barham,
i've owned a few gunnisons in the past and loved them. the super smooth drag combined with old school ross co's fine machining made them top notch reels.
i still own a g3(pre '98) and love it:D
as far as todays reels go, sure its its outdated and heavy, but i think its still a great reel.

casey

thewalker1013

Reaction score
I'd get the older and original Evolution off of Ebay. It weighs less than the newer Evolution LT.

The older Evo 3.5 is 4.5 oz and the newer Evo LT 3.5 is 4.8 oz. Both hold 8 wt lines.
Totally agree here... I have original Evos in 2 and 3, love em. The 2 is my go-to trout reel, and the drag should still be ample on the species you'd target with an 8 wt and a 3.5. Smooth and awesome