Question on reel weight for a 9' 6wt.

45srbest

Reaction score
I have a Winston GVX rod that I need to get a reel for. My question is that one reel weighs 4.2 oz. and the other weighs 5.2 oz.. Does this really make a difference? It seems to me that once you have some line out it may be benificial to have some extra weight on the reel to counter the line drag,weight. Am I way off? Does 1 oz. really make a difference? Thanks.

cletus

Reaction score
I use a Galvan Torque T-5 on my 6wt BIIMX and it balances it nicely.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Sorry, meant to include it weighs 4.8 ounces (the T6 weighs 5.2 if that's one you're looking at)

FrankB2

Reaction score
For a 6wt, 5.2oz isn't outrageously heavy. I'd be more interested in the reel's quality, the drag system, does it hold enough backing for your purposes, do you like the way it looks and feels, etc.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Well, that's a can't loose situation. ;) Abel reels simply aren't as light as some others, but that's part of their design. I know at least one forum member that uses a 5N on his 5wt, and loves it.

sandfly

Reaction score
I'm sorry have to put in my O2
1 oz. is not that big a differance, or 2 or 3 oz. the average fly rodder will not notice a big differance. sorry to hurt any ones feelings but if you can't cast a few xtra oz's then you had better go to the gym or give up fly fishing..

45srbest

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the statement above about weight. I don't see why there is an issue on reel weights (within reason). I don't understand how an oz. or 2 can throw a 5 or 6 wt. rod off balance that much.

mikel

Reaction score
I tried my Orvis BBSII on my Redington CT 5 wt (8'6") and found the set up very tip heavy. Next time out I swtched to an old (heavier) Okuma Sierra and found fishing the rig much more pleasurable. In that case, the difference was noticeable and too light a reel was the culprit.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I use a Super 6 on my Sage 690-4 XP. The Super 6 is 6.9 oz. I have no issues with this set up - I love the way it works for me and the balance is actually very good.

I've grown accustomed to having a little heavier reel on all my rigs. Your point about when the fly line is out through the rod is on point, it does balance things out on the outfit.

I recently purchased a click/pawl - Orvis CFO III. You would think that it would be perfect for a light 486-4 ZXL but to me, initially, it seems too light. Hence my comment that I'm used to a little heavier reel, because I "know" that the CFO III is ideal for a 8' 6" fly rod.

Cheers,
Mike.

L

Liphookedau

You will notice many of The Modern Reels are Skeleltonised by Machining which makes them Lighter so in fact on some Rods you can use a Larger Reel & still maintain a good balance.
Brian

silver creek

Reaction score
A 1 oz difference is significant amount in a reel for 6 wt line.

If there is a need for a reel to "balance"with a rod, it is not for casting but for fishing.

You need to know how much line will be out for your average fishing; and how do you want to hold the rod for most of your fishing; neural, tip up, or tip down.

For example, if you short line nymph and you hold the rod tip up most of the time, you don't want a reel so light that it balances tip down or neutral. You would be fighting the natural balance of the outfit. That is why most euro nymphers with 11 foot rods tend to favor reels heavy enough to balance the rod in a tip up position. If the rod reel naturally assumes that position, there is one less thing to manage and less arm fatigue.

Some rods are tip heavy and some are tip light. I prefer a tip light rod and a light rod overall, so I use light reels for my fishing.

comeonavs

Reaction score
A 1 oz difference is significant amount in a reel for 6 wt line.

If there is a need for a reel to "balance"with a rod, it is not for casting but for fishing.

You need to know how much line will be out for your average fishing; and how do you want to hold the rod for most of your fishing; neural, tip up, or tip down.

For example, if you short line nymph and you hold the rod tip up most of the time, you don't want a reel so light that it balances tip down or neutral. You would be fighting the natural balance of the outfit. That is why most euro nymphers with 11 foot rods tend to favor reels heavy enough to balance the rod in a tip up position. If the rod reel naturally assumes that position, there is one less thing to manage and less arm fatigue.

Some rods are tip heavy and some are tip light. I prefer a tip light rod and a light rod overall, so I use light reels for my fishing.
Thank you, that helps alot. I am kicking the tires on what reel to get for my new rod. I know there won't be a massive difference between a 3.6 oz reel and a 3.9oz reel. It is a 9" 3wt and I tend to fish a little more tip up.

So many variables to consider, but in the end it really won't matter to much for me as it is ultralight gear anyway. I imagine these differences get magnified as you get in to bigger gear as in 6wt and above