My reel seems weird

trout333

Reaction score
I just purchased an Allen Trout II and have only used it a couple times but I'm noticing something that doesn't feel right. I think a lot of fishermen on this forum seem to be familiar with them so here is my concern.

When I'm setting up to fish a hole and start pulling fly line off the reel seems to throb. More specifically, during the rotation I notice the spool tightens in a specific spot and then loosens up. I've noticed that as the spool moves clockwise, when the handle reaches the bottom of the reel it tightens and then loosens when the handle reaches the top of the reel. Has anyone else noticed this or has an Allen reel that is familiar?

I've only fished it twice on a small tailwater where there are only small fish, so I haven't yet had the experience of testing the reel on a biggie yet. I'm concerned that this strange throbbing might be a negative. Thanks!

Alex

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Alex: Justin will take care of you, he has a very solid reputation for supporting the products he sells.

caseywise

Reaction score
I had a reel start acting weird, but it turned out it was manufactured on top of an old Indian burial ground. After nearly being sucked through a vortex into Hell, I got a young priest and an old priest.......:sorry: I couldn't help myself.

lol dan!!!
you crack me up:lol2::lol2:
alex, justin will take care of the problem for sure.

casey

littledavid123

Reaction score
I had a reel start acting weird, but it turned out it was manufactured on top of an old Indian burial ground. After nearly being sucked through a vortex into Hell, I got a young priest and an old priest.......:sorry: I couldn't help myself.

Dan, to anyone born and raised in Oklahoma the answer is obvious, you were trying to catch trout with a squawfish reel. You were lucky to have escaped with your scalp and mustache still in place. You don't need a priest, you need a medicine man. :cool:

Dave

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Here's your problem, and it isn't the reel. You have your fly line (and perhaps the backing) wrapped on/in (for a lack of a better term) 'lumps.' Parts are tight, some loose. As you pull off the line the 'effect' you get is just as you described.

Tie the fly line off and take a long walk, stretch and reel back on minding the backing/line go on in level (back and forth) strips.

fae

Edit: when the FL is off the reel, push down on the backing with your finger tip. 'Sponginess?' Keep walking ... you're not done yet.

theboz

Reaction score
While in the vortex were you spinning on a small red sofa??

S

sbreech

Can you describe the vortex?

trout333

Reaction score
Here's your problem, and it isn't the reel. You have your fly line (and perhaps the backing) wrapped on/in (for a lack of a better term) 'lumps.' Parts are tight, some loose. As you pull off the line the 'effect' you get is just as you described.

Tie the fly line off and take a long walk, stretch and reel back on minding the backing/line go on in level (back and forth) strips.

fae

Edit: when the FL is off the reel, push down on the backing with your finger tip. 'Sponginess?' Keep walking ... you're not done yet.

YES! Good answer. This might be the problem. I did load the backing and line myself and guess what.... its the first time I did it myself! I tried to be careful and wind the backing and line evenly but perhaps I still didn't do a good job. I'll take it to a shop and have them rewind the line to see what that does.