Abel Creek 1 LA vs SA for my Sage LL 389?

70boss302

Reaction score
Just picked up a Sage LL 389-3 and am on the hunt for the right reel to match w/ it. Was considering the Abel Creek 1. Fishing predominately smaller streams for trout here in PA, which would you folks recommend? The Abel Creek 1 Large Arbor or the Standard Arbor?

Also, anyone out there looking to sell one of these reels?

Thanks for your advice.

Peter

comeonavs

Reaction score
Just picked up a Sage LL 389-3 and am on the hunt for the right reel to match w/ it. Was considering the Abel Creek 1. Fishing predominately smaller streams for trout here in PA, which would you folks recommend? The Abel Creek 1 Large Arbor or the Standard Arbor?

Also, anyone out there looking to sell one of these reels?

Thanks for your advice.

Peter
I just picked up a Nautilus FWX and could not be more impressed with it so far. Feels every bit as smooth as my Sage Clicks' , Sage 4230, Ross Evo's, Bauer etc etc. super light, top notch quality at a really nice price point for what you get. $240 certainly isn't "cheap" but relative to the competition it is.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I use an Abel Big Game 0 and a Galvan Standard 3.0 on my 389LL. The "O" is 4.7 oz and feels excellent on the stick. I like a heavier reel than some others. The Galvan Standard is 4.3, also feels excellent. So, to answer your question specifically, I would choose the Standard Arbor Abel Creek 1 because it's a little heavier, especially when loaded with backing. In my opinion, it would feel better to me. While the 389LL is by no means a heavy fly rod, it's not a Sage TXL-F or Circa. It's a little older, a little heavier, and oh so sweet of a fly rod. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Mike.

45srbest

Reaction score
I use an Abel TR1 on my Winston 8' 4wt and love it. Balance seems great for me. I think either the creek or tr would be great on your rod!

FrankB2

Reaction score
I've owned small arbor reels (including Abel), and just got tired of reeling all day to get 25' of line back on the spool. I'd get the largest arbor possible, but not go too wide on the spool. The Abel Creek 2 LA would be nice. Some would say you can add backing to a standard arbor reel, but for small trout streams in PA, who needs it? ;)

Edit: I owned a 1970 Boss 302 back in 1978-1980. Wish I'd kept it....

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I've owned small arbor reels (including Abel), and just got tired of reeling all day to get 25' of line back on the spool. I'd get the largest arbor possible, but not go too wide on the spool. The Abel Creek 2 LA would be nice. Some would say you can add backing to a standard arbor reel, but for small trout streams in PA, who needs it? ;)

Edit: I owned a 1970 Boss 302 back in 1978-1980. Wish I'd kept it....
Definitely something to be said for that Frank.

70boss302

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies so far. Keep' em coming. I just need to sort out in my mind whether a Creek Large Arbor would make sense on a Sage 389LL.

Also, if I wanted that reel to do double duty on my 4 weight, what size spare spool might I consider?

Frank- I bet you do wish you still had it!!! Did you ever search to see if your old Boss 302 is still out there? (If you're curious, you could investigate that thought on the Boss site: The BOSS 302 Registry). I also live in SE PA and am starting my search for my 1970 Boss 302.

Peter

comeonavs

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies so far. Keep' em coming. I just need to sort out in my mind whether a Creek Large Arbor would make sense on a Sage 389LL.

Also, if I wanted that reel to do double duty on my 4 weight, what size spare spool might I consider?

Frank- I bet you do wish you still had it!!! Did you ever search to see if your old Boss 302 is still out there? (If you're curious, you could investigate that thought on the Boss site: The BOSS 302 Registry). I also live in SE PA and am starting my search for my 1970 Boss 302.

Peter
I have a couple rods where I have one reel and a spare spool for either a 1 & 3wt setup or 3&4. I don't do it to much because I tend to

A) be a gear junky and want new things
B) buy stuff miraculously right before they close out so I have a hard time finding spools anywhere but ebay ( I don't do PayPal)
C) I loan rods to buddies a fair amount so makes it tough to have 2 rods one reel set up.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have a couple rods where I have one reel and a spare spool for either a 1 & 3wt setup or 3&4. I don't do it to much because I tend to

A) be a gear junky and want new things
B) buy stuff miraculously right before they close out so I have a hard time finding spools anywhere but ebay ( I don't do PayPal)
C) I loan rods to buddies a fair amount so makes it tough to have 2 rods one reel set up.
I see (some) similarities here. I have one reel set up for two 4wts. and another set up for a 5 wt. and an extra spool for a 6wt. My reasons for not doing too much of that are:

a.) I also am a gear junky and want new gear
b.) usually buy stuff miraculously right before they go on sale and end up paying more than I should because I was impatient
c.) I don't loan gear to my buddies because when I do.. it comes back altered ecstatically of physically altered:yikes:
I have been looking for a good Sage 389-3 LL for sometime, but don't like to buy on the internet. People ask me why I would consider buying outdated technology. Go figure!

Last edited:

Meatco1

Reaction score
I went with the standard arber for this Abel one,

and set it up for a Sage one 4wt.

For me, on my 3wt Z-Axis, I'm using a Ross Evo 1, but it seems a bit light, at least to me.

Respects,

Richard

gretch6364

Reaction score
I am currently trying to figure out a reel with an extra spool for on my 4wt and 3wt. Will an Abel Creek #1 in LA work with a 4wt WF line? The 4wt is a Scott 8'6" G2 and the 3wt is a 7ft Scott F.

I would rather not go with the #2 model, and don't want the SA.

Thanks, and if anyone is selling one, let me know.