Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default 8wt TFO BVK with a Colton Torrent Reel?

Hi,

I've narrowed down my rod choice to an 8wt BVK. I plan to use this rod for Bonefish (occasionally while on vacation) as well as Atlantic Salmon (more frequently).

I am thinking of getting Colton Torrent reel to go with it but its 9.2 ounces. I've also thought of the 7.2 ounce Colton CRGII. I've heard great things about the Colton reels but I'm concerned that the reels might weigh too much when paired with the relatively light weight BVK.

Any thoughts?

G

Default Re: 8wt TFO BVK with a Colton Torrent Reel?

I have an 8wt BVK (love it) and I have it matched with a BVK III. At 5.2 ounces + line and backing it balance sthe rod perfectly IMHO. I think any reel in that weight range will work, but the Colton sounds too heavy to me. These new ultra-light weight rods are really nice, but most reels are just too heavy to balance them well. The Hardy DD 8000, the BVK III, the Marryat MR8.5, and others work really well in the $200-$250 price range.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.