Abel Reels

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week.:( I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.:thumbsup:

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week.:( I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.:thumbsup:
No Abel reels utilize a plastic drag knob...

jaybo41

Reaction score

troutnut4

Reaction score
That is one beautiful setup.:thumbsup: I been looking for a 389-3 for awhile now and that little Able reel is right up there at the top of my list with the Sage rod.

coug

Reaction score
I have five abels and none have any plastic. Might have to make it six after seeing Jaybo's link. I want my next build to be a 3wt and those little abels would look nice!

troutnut4

Reaction score
jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?
TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike

Gerard

Reaction score
Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.

coug

Reaction score
Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.

I have a super 7 that I used on an 8wt and that was my steelhead setup. It was a very good match. I bought the flex kit with an extra spool so I could have a floater and a sink. Sold the rod when I switched to spey a few years ago, but kept the Abel. Going to try it on a 7wt I am building now. I think you will enjoy the reel!

troutnut4

Reaction score
TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Chi, I thought that I saw one of Abel's reel with a drag knob that appeared to have been made of plastic. Thought maybe I was wrong.

jaybo41

Reaction score

Cheers,
Mike
I was waiting for you to chime in on this given your penchant for Abel reels. Solid advise as I'd have expected from you. Didn't know about the plastic on an Abel and not sure I've ever the Abel Extreme. Then again I don't know that I really looked for it because I think I've heard you mention how ugly you thought they were :icon_lol:

shimloom

Reaction score
I have a friend that works at Abel, does the custom color jobs on the reels. They are still made of quality materials. You can't go wrong with abel stuff, very well made and great customer service, if you needed it! I have a Super 2 on my 4wt 'loomis GLX and it works and looks great!
Craig

comeonavs

Reaction score
Ok guys last time there was an Abel thread I wound up buying 2 pair of $50 nippers so let's chill on the Abel thread before I tap the 401k:thumbsup:

In all seriousness you know i fish lightweight rigs. Is Able's click n pawl pretty stout or adjustable. I have a old sage click 3200 and a new click II and both are stout enough to prevent backlash when stripping line. I had some other click/pawls I sold due to tons of backlash.

Just curious

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ok guys last time there was an Abel thread I wound up buying 2 pair of $50 nippers so let's chill on the Abel thread before I tap the 401k:thumbsup:

In all seriousness you know i fish lightweight rigs. Is Able's click n pawl pretty stout or adjustable. I have a old sage click 3200 and a new click II and both are stout enough to prevent backlash when stripping line. I had some other click/pawls I sold due to tons of backlash.

Just curious
Have a look at the link I posed above Avs. :icon_twis:p:icon_twis

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks guys....really appreciate the support , I am 48 hrs in to my commitment to not buy anymore gear.

I have the below reels for sub 5wt rods....don't need another one

Ross Evo O and spare spool
Sage Click II
Sage Click 3200
Nautilus FWX
Lamson Guru 1.5
Ross Rhythm 1.5
Ross Evo LT2
Allen Trout II
Bauer MSL 2.0

Now you have me looking at a reel to match my nippers argggghhhhh

What is the difference between Abel Creek std arbor and Large Arbor. Obviously I know what large arbor means but the diameter is the same ,so how is one std and one large if they are the same diameter ?

cletus

Reaction score
Comeonavs, I just picked up a beautiful Abel Creek LA 1 with the rainbow pattern. I admire your 48 hours, you're a stronger man than I!

wannafish

Reaction score
I may just buy the nippers and ignore this thread; I'm already ebay poor from a long winter and this discussion of fine Abel reels isn't helping :rolleyes:

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
Well I started off in Abel with a TR1 in brown trout. Now I have a 7/8N for my 8wt and will be picking up a 9/10N for my 10wt in a couple of months. For me there is just something about the classical classiness of the reels that can't be denied.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Thanks guys....really appreciate the support , I am 48 hrs in to my commitment to not buy anymore gear.

I have the below reels for sub 5wt rods....don't need another one

Ross Evo O and spare spool
Sage Click II
Sage Click 3200
Nautilus FWX
Lamson Guru 1.5
Ross Rhythm 1.5
Ross Evo LT2
Allen Trout II
Bauer MSL 2.0

Now you have me looking at a reel to match my nippers argggghhhhh

What is the difference between Abel Creek std arbor and Large Arbor. Obviously I know what large arbor means but the diameter is the same ,so how is one std and one large if they are the same diameter ?

Read this first.

Abel Reels - FlexABELity

In theory, it's going to allow you to use the same frame with a greater variety of lines. If you purchase extra spools, this is obviously true. The problem is given the cost of spools, in some cases you might just be better off with another reel:p Avs, I think I warned you before when you got those nippers, but I'm going on record: Abel is a slippery slope. When you get one, there will be more. Just ask Chi, and grouch, and <insert other Abel owners here>. :lol2: