Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abel Reels

Default Abel Reels

I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week. I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.

Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
    I have been looking at Abel reels with the intent in buying one of their trout reels for my ZXL 376-4. I passed up a discontinued #0 on e-bay this week. I notice that the new reels appear to have a plastic drag knob, whereas the discontinued one appeared to be a knurled metal which I liked. Am I right in thinking that they are now plastic? The #0 would probably have been a little heavy for the rod. Beautiful reel though and probably worth the coin, I'm guessing.
    No Abel reels utilize a plastic drag knob...

Blog Entries

What kwb said. No plastic reel handles on an Abel. They're either made from wood or from machined aluminum. Unless of course someone has made a modification to it.

By the way, the #0 is one sweet little reel. Chi has one that you can see here:

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

There certainly are lighter reels on the market but those old big game trout sized reels are beautiful. Hard to go wrong with an Abel.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

4. Likes wannafish liked this post

That is one beautiful setup. I been looking for a 389-3 for awhile now and that little Able reel is right up there at the top of my list with the Sage rod.

I have five abels and none have any plastic. Might have to make it six after seeing Jaybo's link. I want my next build to be a 3wt and those little abels would look nice!

7. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post

jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?

Quote Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
    jaybo41, I checked out the link and love the looks of that reel. That particular reel (pt.5 ?) appears to be discontinued. The Abel site shows a Super Series 3N large arbor and also the "Classic". Do you know what the specs were on the pt.5?
    TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
    Mike

10. Likes troutnut4, trout trekker liked this post

Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Abel reel spec are HERE Scroll down for older reels.

I've just bought a Super 7 fro my 8wt bonefish rod. My first ever Abel....I feel I've got have at least one in my arsenal as their reputation is legendary.

I went for the 7 b/c It will take the backing and 8wt line, but is lighter and more compact which I think is important in balancing a rod.

I have a super 7 that I used on an 8wt and that was my steelhead setup. It was a very good match. I bought the flex kit with an extra spool so I could have a floater and a sink. Sold the rod when I switched to spey a few years ago, but kept the Abel. Going to try it on a 7wt I am building now. I think you will enjoy the reel!

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    TN - if you go to the Abel website and do a search you will find the specs for the pt.5. To me, the pt.5 is too much reel for that rod. It's rated for a 5/6 but I use mine on 4 wt.s and it's fine.

For the rod you have, and if you want an Abel at a "discount" I would suggest a fully ported Abel Super 2. Don't get me wrong, that Big Game "0" I have is awesome and a fine pairing to any small line weight rod. But it's heavy. And it's too heavy for your shorter light weight 3 wt. rod IMO. An even better choice, albeit more expensive, is the Abel Super 3N. I like it more than the Super 2 because it's narrower and taller.

If drag is not important to you on a reel, and this is a personal preference, look hard at the creek/trout models. They're cheaper, they're well built, and they're beautiful. If I was buying an Abel for a short 3 wt. I would look long and hard here. I put my Abel 0 on a short Sage 373 SLT and it was way too heavy to be comfortable for me - and I prefer a heavier reel.

As a side note, gentlemen, there is a line of Abel reels that incorporate a plastic reel handle. It's the Abel Extreme - a lower cost alternative to the original Abel Big Game Series. I think they're ugly.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks Chi, I thought that I saw one of Abel's reel with a drag knob that appeared to have been made of plastic. Thought maybe I was wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast