Need some moral advice

djamtime

Reaction score
For awhile now I have been searching for a mate for my T&T Vector 904-3. I started with the Ross Evo lt.. Then I switched to the Nautilus FWX.. Basically I have had a mental love affair with every damn reel from the Hardy Princess to the Martin Mohawk River.. To make a long story short I cant get the DD4000 out of my head. I know from reading numerous reviews that it seems to be a sound piece of gear. The looks are damn sexy, and the weight is right around where I want to be. To make matters worse I met a guy who owns a fly shop in Wyoming who offered to help me out and sell me the reel with ANY line of my choice for $200. I am getting married in October, so saying that our finances are tied up is an understatement. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on so many occasions that I cannot even count. (I am one of those impulsive fly fishermen.. Go figure :eek:)

The only concern that I keep coming back to is the whole made in Korea thing. Don't get me wrong, I am completely confident in their ability as machinists. Hell I drive a Toyota. Funny thing is that I am actually talking myself closer to making the purchase as I am typing this.

Where do we draw the line? I would love to support our economy. I would love to feel like I am supporting that "River runs through it" American past-time. The problem is that I can not seem to make any deal seem sweeter than the one I am currently reviewing. I love the Galvan Torque.. Not $330 love. :(
Same with Abel and many of the other FINE US manufacturers.

I am extremely curious to hear what you guys think about this kind of stuff.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a Hardy Uniqua 10/11 size last December for 150 dollars new. It is the first Asian reel I've owned but I'm thinking I'll get used to it. If the deal is good and you really want the reel I would buy it. The fish will have no idea of what reel you are using.

Ard

mojo

Reaction score
Get the damn thing now.
Worry about a U.S. made reel later. If you still want one. It's a global economy, and it's only gonna more so. Even though it's made in Korea, it keeps people employed here, like the other products made overseas do.

djamtime

Reaction score
Do you remember the Flintstones? Remember what Bam Bam used to do to folks..
She is 5' tall, 116lbs. and she will Bam Bam me without a second thought! :D So no I cant delay the marriage. Plus she is my fishin' buddy :)

jaybo41

Reaction score
If it's a reel that you want and the guy is willing to make you a deal, you should take advantage of it now before your finances really get pinched;) Tell her you got a good deal on the Hardy and are going to use the savings to put in a pink Abel fund for her :)

A good product is a good product, no matter where it's made. Especially one made by a solid company that will be around for years to come that you know will take care of your service needs.

Besides, your T&T is US made, no?

leithel

Reaction score
I really like my Korean Hardy's. Like Mojo said, "It's a global economy". I support that.

:wavetowel​
Fred

klunker

Reaction score
I'm going to be a dissenting opinion. If it was me I wouldn't buy it.

Sounds as if you have several reels already for it. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with these reels, right?

You must of thought those other reels were worth putting on there now you've found another one that you like better? How long before you'll find something else that you might want? Is this new reel going to catch any more fish?

I'd save the money for something more important, 1st lesson in marriage, Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Concentrate on the fishing itself, don't worry about the gear. Its just a tool after all.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I repeat myself below from the "Orvis" thread under Rods in which I address the import concept. The Hardy Ultralite DD's are very fine reels as is your FWX. Buy the DD and give the FWX to your "fishing partner".

All of us Americans were imported from someplace at one point too. The Genie is out of the Bottle and industry is International. It is the creative process and quality of materials and execution that is of principal merit now. However, it is natural and appropriate that we favor tackle made by fly fishermen for fly fishermen. It is also a good thing that non environmentally destructive practices where employed in the manufacturing process and, if the creative products' site of production is farmed out to another country, that it is one aligned with our values of human rights and fair treatment and respect for employees. Clearly, the reason most of us express concern over fly rods and reels being fabricated in China is that it is the leading Nation in a variety of areas: most arrogantly environmentally destructive, least respect for its competitors' creative property, passionate suppressor of its own citizens human rights and, despite huge economic linkage with the US, our adversary in nearly all international venues.

One more thing. I have an acquittance that owns an up and coming fly rod business. His #6 -12 rod are built by a small shop in Korea and are very good, I am fishing his #7 as my light bonefish stick, an area of my angling that I am particularly critical about. His trout rods are made in China and actually look pretty nice but, despite his working closely with his supplier and having visited there repeatedly, I can't fish these rods for free. I feel my fly fishing time is way to valuable to use substandard equipment no matter how good a price it may be available for. Often in our forum we have a young member who can not afford an Orvis (or whichever US rod we are writing about) and it pains me that this budding fly fisher is compelled by circumstances to shop for low quality tackle from an adversarial source nation. I wish Orvis and other elite fly rod makers could offer the novice a bare bones but serviceable rod at a modest cost without resorting to Chinese sourcing. Wading boots I have given up on but rods and reels are more fundamental.

Viva SA, RIO and Cortland! If some new fly line brand made off-shore (other than Airflo) showes up at a great price...shun it!

cletus

Reaction score
Ard got me thinking in his "Made in the US" thread. While my rods and reels are all made in the US, little else I own is (cars, computers, etc.), so who am i to judge?

If you like the reel and it's a good deal, think of it as a wedding gift from our allies in South Korea!

stuie675

Reaction score
I got the DD4000 black edition. It is a sexy and amazingly built reel. I at first didnt think I would like the black, but I was very wrong. If I could have got that deal for 200 I would have bought two.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Might as well get used to it. In another couple of years you will probably be lucky to find a sandwich made in the US.
I kind of disagree, my company is slowly finding out outsourcing is not saving us much money, if any. Our turn over rate in India is insane, and it is costing us a lot of money, we are trying Mexico now, but we are finding some of them to be a bit slow at learning, which my field to some is not easy to learn. I will be down there teaching for about six months at the end of the year to see what happens, but I know a lot of companies are slowly moving out of India for call centers because of the turn over rate and them not saving much money vs customer satisfaction. While I am not saying jobs are coming back here I bet it slows down how fast companies like mine outsource, I know it has mine at least and our customers which include all the major cell phone carriers in the US and Canada.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
The problem is new regulations and taxes that take effect over the next two years. First victim is going to be full time jobs. The second is going to be jobs. Third, after implementing the second, is going to be US based manufacturing. The whole corporations and the rich are evil war was won, and it was not by the rich and corporations. Check back in two years and we'll see.

By the way, they already see number one on the way and just redefined full time as 30 hours. It just means a 28 hour week is going to be normal. # 2 & 3 are already showing signs as well.

P.S. Going to Mexico is more dangerous than Iraq right now. I'd try and give that a miss as well. Stay well away from any border town. Watch where you go.

Last edited:

stuie675

Reaction score
Ive been to Mexico City several times and feel safer there than I do in Kansas City, KC is rated as the third most dangerous city in the US, right behind St. Louis.

I also have a driver, who goes with me everywhere I go lol.

I am working on getting a position overseas hopefully UK area or that part of Europe, or Australia area. Crossing fingers at least haha

The border cities of US/Mexico are dangerous, but people have I think a mis-interpreted view of all of Mexico, people are very very nice in Mexico City and I have never felt any kind of fear down there, also many people seem to forget that the US is far from a safe country, while our justice system is better in certain ways, I am a pretty calm person and do not go out much so I also do not see myself getting in any type of legal issues lol

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I used to go to Mexico also. But there is no way I am going back till they get a grip on the cartels. Right now Mexico is a narco-terrorist state. Getting worse by the day. As I said, no border towns, no back street anywhere, and be damn careful. By the way, statistically we are safer than most countries. We have a press that right now is playing up every thing they can. Agenda there as well.

stuie675

Reaction score
I used to go to Mexico also. But there is no way I am going back till they get a grip on the cartels. Right now Mexico is a narco-terrorist state. Getting worse by the day. As I said, no border towns, no back street anywhere, and be damn careful. By the way, statistically we are safer than most countries. We have a press that right now is playing up every thing they can. Agenda there as well.
I tend to not go near the shady areas haha but there is also a lot our media misses, KC just at the beginning of the year last year had more homicides in the first two months than most cities have all year. The gang activity in KC, Columbia (middle Missouri) and St. Louis has gotten very bad and a lot of people do not know this, I have yet to see anything on the news about this, even locally.

I know Mexico is bad cartel wise, but like I said Mexico City is really not that bad, or at least they hide it very well. Last time I was down there I went to the accent ruins, forget what they were called, but it was awesome and very beautiful, but having my driver/I guess body guard since the dude is pretty big with me I guess helps, plus he speaks spanish and mine is horrible, so I am sure he keeps me out of the bad areas and would say anything if I was in the mood to explore, but typically my days consist of going to my companies campus, working then coming back and passing out or sitting down at the bar in the building haha

But anyways I will stop thread jacking

Just know the 4000DD is a great reel, no matter where it is made, for the price point you can not beat it. Hardy has what to me seems like great quality control. So I am not sure if they make the reels in Asia and then ship them back to the UK to inspect or what, but I love my DD.

Gerard

Reaction score
South Korea is not China. The quality is very different.
I have a Sage 8080Pro reel made in Korea....quality is outstanding. I also have just bought an Abel and the quality is equally outstanding. I have a TFO BVK..great quality and also Sage & Orvis rods...great quality. I have Chinese made reels....not so great...but there is a price point difference.
Many of the CNC machines are actually make in Korea-Hyundai; they are leaders in other technology, Samsung-phone and flat screens etc.

It is well worth listen to Rick Pope is the owner of Temple Fork Outfitters pod cast MP3 or iTunes were he does discuss the manufacturing of equipment off shore and in particular Korea where they have a factory.

Interestingly in Steve Hemkens of Orvis' podcast of Dec '12 he suggests Orvis will be focusing on USA built reel in the near future (18 months or so)....MP3

djamtime

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for sharing all of your opinions and experience. There are alot of good and valid points here. Just to clarify I do not own all of the reels I mentioned earlier. I just wish or had wished I did. I do however believe that I have come across a great deal and a chance fo finally make my money go a little further. I think my new rod will get a nice mate also :)

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I think your moral dilemma is whether you can afford to be adding to your toy collection right now, not whether to buy a Korean rather than an American product.

If you can afford it, buy the damn reel. My dad was an immigrant and a Marine who lost buddies in Korea. Everyone in the world has a right to basic human dignity and a decent way to earn a living, not only Americans. The United States didn't spend the last 65 years and the blood of a lot of patriots trying to bring (at least part of) Korea into the free, first world international community, only to boycott their competitive products out of some misplaced sense of national pride now that we have finally succeeded.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it, and don't even think about getting an English-made Perfect or a US-made Saracione instead.

(By the way, do you have a cell phone? Where is it made? How about your computer and monitor?)

Last edited:

bmbailes

Reaction score
The DD is an awesome reel! I got one in November and its flawless machining at its best!! I'm also going to order another soon...probably a 5000