Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Reel for TFO 5wt ?

I got a TFO pro2 5 wt 8.6' rod. Looking at spending $100 +/- Any suggestions ? I'm going to a fly expo tomorrow and hope to find a deal. I do have a Cortland Retro 1 and a Pflueger Trion 34 and am thinking of just getting spare spools for them but will they hold a 5wt and if so how much backing ? I'm using this for small stream sml.mouth bass. Thanks.
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

Default Re: Reel for TFO 5wt ?

I will suggest the LL bean Quest LA reel in size 2. I just got one in and it fits my 8'6'' 5wt perfectly.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Blog Entries

Default Re: Reel for TFO 5wt ?

First thought that comes to mind in that price range for that rod

1) Allen trout if they are at the show. I have one on my Zaxis and it is solid for the price

2) Lamson Konic II , solid drag and with the new coating to protect it from dings since it is a cast reel.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson