Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cheeky Reels

Arrow Cheeky Reels

Has anyone ever used or handled a Cheeky Reel?
    Carson

Default Re: Cheeky Reels

Ask the carpman John Montana he just won one.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

3. Likes Guest1 liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I have never even seen one in person but the reviews I have read sound good. Kind of gaudy colored if you like that sort of thing.

Troutchaser, As I had mentioned Cheeky in an earlier post to you I will follow up. I do not own one (I would like to though), but my group had an early sample "loaner" on a trip to Abaco in 2011. Fished primarily by my good buddy, he landed many bonefish including one of perhaps 9 pounds with this reel. We were all impressed by its performance and design. It does not reinvent the wheel but it took a good look at the reel market and went very large arbor, V recessed the inner spool circumference for added capacity, carved as much aluminum out of the assembly while still preserving rigidity and devised their version of a stacked, multi-surface, sealed drag. They also gave their four models "Cheeky" colors but, for the conservatives among us, will introduce a clear anodized version at some point if consumers demand it. I recently saw the principles of this start-up (from Boston) at Somerset and they are cool young guys striving to become a quality name in the reel business...not and easy thing to do. I am going to get one.

I borrowed one last year for a spey casting lesson. It seemed very solid and durable. I don't think I would want to buy one with such garish colors, though. Maybe I'd think differently if I lived in Miami.

They now offer the Mojo in all silver, not sure about the other models yet. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Mojo but just couldn't bring myself to do it do to the lack of reviews (I don't care about how great the reel looks or feels, I want a review from someone that beat the **** out of it for a season) and the company bein so young. I don't mind dropping good money on reels but I can't afford it when it is a possible risk.

With that said, for $380 you probably can't find a better reel. Scott, Ted and Peter are all good guys and know their stuff.

I will probably grab one before fall, I don't think I will be able to resist the urge.

Mojo placed highly in the Trident 8-Weight Reel Challange. Its drag may not have tested as strong as the over the top Hardy Fortuna #1 reel but is plenty strong for bonefish or albies and beyond. I am thinking about a new rod that is "bright" in color and maybe "Cheeky" colored Mojo might balance it well. A red rod with this reel would not get lost on any rod rack.

If I could suggest a reel take a look at sealevelflyfish, there reels are made on the same line as Hardys and don't have the names high price tag.

Rick

The Tempest, originally developed by Albright and now marketed by the nice gentleman at Sea Level is a solid, smooth and stout dragged reel. Very well machined by a good shop in Korea this is not one of these new skeletonized designs, it is robust and can take the abuse of being tossed about in a boat. The cork disc responsible for its above normal drag range and strength is permanently sandwiched so it is a two sided assembly for doubled surface sweep area. A great idea developed originally by Ari't Hart. The draw back in this design , however, is how do you maintain the cork's natural elasticity? Dried out cork gazes in a drag so at least an annual application of neatsfoot oil is required. In a true draw-bar design like Abel, Islander, et al, one simply disassembles and rubs a few drops of this oil into the cork surface. You just cant fully disassemble Tempest to get to the cork though. I have a few of these reels from trout to saltwater sizes and have lost a memorable fish to dry cork lock-up. Grrr. Trying to remove the bolt beneath the drag knob felt like I was going to destroy the aluminum frame of this reel. I resorted to squirting excess neatsfoot oil into the micro-gap around the cork while the drag was set to free-spool zero. I managed to get enough in there to revitalize the cork and cleaned up the excess dripping everywhere, applied a drop of light oil to the spindle and was good to go...the reel was good as new. Unfortunately, once a reel has failed me it is unlikely to regain its original luster and my set of Tempests languish in a reel drawer to this day. Not that I would give them a negative rating, I think they are better than many in their modest price range as long as you maintain them properly.

My Tempest 1 with a Hendrickson mounted on an EXS; one of the early, high performance, Korean-built outfits designed by Americans.