Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  69
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

The best reel ever made is the one that brings you the greatest memories of the beauties you've caught, and the ones that teased you and got away. The one you were using on that epic trip with your friends while you explored those coveted spots where you just knew the fish would be.

It's the one you're holding in your hand on a misty morning while you ponder the world around you as a deer sips at the water's edge, and the fish are waiting to ambush your fly.

Or these:

Last edited by von behr; 09-15-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: duplicate photo

2. Likes kelkay, fredaevans, mtaag3 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    The Pflueger Medalist
    The single most popular fly reel of all time.

Without a doubt. Every fly fisherman that I know has owned at least 1.

4. Likes kelkay, fredaevans, glacierjohn liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    The purpose of a drag is to release line at a set tension and continue to release at that tension. The higher the start up inertia the lower you have to set your drag to protect identical strength tippets.

Here's another way to think of it.

Suppose we can fish 5 lb tippet or 4 lb tippet that is one "X" size smaller than the 5 lb tippet. Say one reel has zero start up inertial and the other reel has 33% start up inertia.

With the first reel you can set the drag at 3 lbs pull using the thinner 4 lb tippet and have 1 lb of safety. With the second reel, if you set the drag at 3 lbs of pull, but it will take 4 lbs of pull for the drag to start to slip. So you need to use the 5 lb tippet to get 1 lb of safety.

More often what happens is that the low inertial drag gives us a safety margin that protects against tippet wear, abrasion, nicks that gradually lower the breaking strength of the tippet. So even if the tippet gets weaker, the low inertial drag can protects us against the stupid things we do.
    Ahhhhhh empiricism......nothing makes my day like properly applied numerical anecdotal evidence. Silver, I would love to buy you a frothy beverage....or some other fermented grain beverage if you prefer.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    Without a doubt. Every fly fisherman that I know has owned at least 1.
    Ahhh, the old Plug's. About as bullet proof as you could get. Fished for trout to King Salmon with those things. Only 'out gunned' once and that was a very large King. Fish actually bent the frame.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

ESSAY: The Best Fly Fishing Reel Ever Made
    It wasn’t until I was older that I realized how Pflueger Medalist shaped the lives anglers here and around the world.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Looking through the thread brings a point to mind; possibly the best made were the ones copied the most by other (newer) manufacturers.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes yonder, glcaddis liked this post
  10. Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Looking through the thread brings a point to mind; possibly the best made were the ones copied the most by other (newer) manufacturers.
    Good point. Not sure what the top ten best trout reels of all time are, but I'd put half a dozen Hardy's in there.

Can I raise a note of dissent about the Abel Super? The most ridiculous spool release I've ever had the misfortune to hold in my hands. I don't care if everything down to that little screw is made by Abel, great engineering doesn't make up for bad design. End of rant.

Not the best reel ever made BUT you cant beat the sound of it going nuts when you hook a big one
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

12. Likes biggie_robs liked this post
  13. Default Re: What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

obviously ABEL REELS are the best reels ever made, check out their new steel your face reel they did for the grateful dead. wow.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast