What is the best trout fly reel ever made?

noreaster

Reaction score
The one that lands me a good ole sea run brookie trout. :D
Seriously though, no idea.
I'm sure we'll hear from the Hardy's and the Orvis's.:)
I like my Allen, and my Bean large arbor's.
I used to use an ole Fennwick Blackhawk Graphite click and pawl. It was basically plastic; so no entry there.:D

newby

Reaction score
It's hard to classify what the "best" trout fly reel ever made is. Is it the one with the greatest top end drag? Considering the quarry is trout, you are unlikely to ever use the top end of a high quality reel's drag range.

Is it the one with the finest machining, the tightest tolerances? Or is it that sentimental and venerable old pflueger medalist that your father gave you?

Is it the reel series that has stood the test of time, and continues to be made? Or maybe the hot new model that was just introduced with industry leading technology?

Is it the reel that has the highest quality and most features for a reasonable price, or that pricy, finely machined, good looking Abel Super with the trout graphics?

To each his own, I know you asked for an opinion, but this is a tough question.

itchmesir

Reaction score
the best one is the one you feel you got the best bang for your buck for... it's a trout reel after all... like others said... not likely to test anything near the high end of the drag

jaybo41

Reaction score
I agree with the others that "best" is certainly going to be subjective. Subjective to our individual reel design preferences, weight, where we we fish and the size of the fish in the streams/rivers/bodies of water, price, rod pairings. I could go on and on. Just to get the conversation going, I'll bite.

My personal short list of the most ideal trout reels, in no particular order:

Hardy LRH Lightweight- Simplicity at it's finest, light weight, classic timeless look

Abel PT.5- Classic looks, solid build, outstanding machining, nice heavy balance.

Orvis CFO III-Simplicity at it's finest, light weight, classic timeless look

Galvan Standard-classic styling meets modern reel technology. It's a Galvan for cripes sake!

Hardy Perfect- Arguably one of the most iconic reels ever produced.

There are undoubtedly lots of other great options out there and I'm basing my list on personal favorites. I've seen or own all but a Perfect. Someday I'll change that.

For trout, some may argue that each of them is overkill depending on whom you ask. Those Tenkara guys fish without a reel.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
It's a tie between the Hardy Lightweight series and the (English-made, not current) Orvis CFO series.

The Lightweights get the edge for sheer classic elegance, especially the older 2-screw line guard models.

The CFOs get the edge for utility, because they have a palming rim.

jaybo41

Reaction score
It's a tie between the Hardy Lightweight series and the (English-made, not current) Orvis CFO series.

The Lightweights get the edge for sheer classic elegance, especially the older 2-screw line guard models.

The CFOs get the edge for utility, because they have a palming rim.
Mr. Moucher, you bring up a good point that I missed about the CFO's. The palming ring. I love that about that series.

cletus

Reaction score
Best is indeed in the eye (or hand) of the beholder. I have Galvan Torques and Abel Creeks. Different reels entirely but they serve me well

trout champ

Reaction score
I'm gonna say either the Ross Evolution, not the new Evo LT I don't like that series at all, or the Sage 2550 with the carbon fiber spool. Upper hand goes to the Ross for being made in America!

Randy

L

Liphookedau

Now that's a very hard Question to answer as I've many Brands including Hardy's,Allen,Baeur,Ross, Scienentific Angler,Airflo,White River & the list goes on,after all Really they only hold The Line,some have so called Sophisticated Braking Systems ?????
Even though I don't own own one The Ari T Hart Reels are propably The Sleekest, Most Sort After Reels By Collectors,I can't remember how many I've bid on & missed out on Ebay,most have gone for big money.
Also you now see where Sellers recognise they bring The Big Dollars & put them up with Phenominal Price Tags.
Brian

dhayden

Reaction score
I'm gonna say either the Ross Evolution..
Randy
+1

Better even because I got mine on closeout.. :)

It's going to depend on if you like clicks, you fish fresh or salt, etc

The Medalist - i have a few of them? Just becuase they are/were popular doesn't make them good, they're just cheap - lol, sort of like a Yugo

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It's a cold morning here in the North East, I'll bite:

1. Spring&Pawl: A handmade Stan Bogdan is the best I've ever seen or, for a factory reel; the CFO (designed by Stan but not loved by him latter) or Abel Creek

2. Exotic Reel: I suppose Ari't Hart's reels, made by him in his home in Holland, are the finest trout reels on the Planet. Oh, little Abel Supers are terrific and my wife loves her German Vosseler and I wish I had bought one of Jack Charlon's first generation reels and my buddy loves his Sarcione...but Ari trumps them all.

3. Readily available and reasonably priced: I fish Nautilus FWX and Hardy Ultralite DD reels and find both to be totally reliable, fine tunable, smooth pleasures to fish with. the U DD has an extra unusual advantage; the incremental size differences between models makes it reasonable to achieve exactly the balance you strive for with any trout rod.

A Brace of Harts

Bogdan Spring&Pawl Trout

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
If you want to impress people with what you can spend on the 'latest and greatest',,the selection is small. If you want to catch fish,,,,,,,,,,,lots of good reels out there.

I think it's probably a round question.