Bauer MacKenzie CFX vs Galvan Torque

troutchaser8

Reaction score
looking to put it on my new 6wt Winston! Which do you think performs better and is more durable? Thanks!:D

comeonavs

Reaction score
I can't comment on either in particular , I have Bauer Mckenzie MSL 2.0 on my Orvis Hydros 6wt and I love it.

I've owned Lamson, Sage, Ross, Nautilus, and they are all great but from a fit and finish standpoint the Bauer is far superior IMO.

Plus I am a native Oregonian so the local guys have a leg up for me

jaybo41

Reaction score
I own a T-6 that's paired on my 7wt for GL steelhead and I love it. Very smooth drag that has virtually no maintenance required. I'm not familiar first hand with Bauer reels but from what I know I think either option you are considering will make an excellent choice. I'd think it comes down to which look do you like best and how much do you want to spend. Galvan's CS is excellent and I've heard good things about Bauer's. Let us know what you end up with and feel free to post some photos in the Reel Love thread.

cletus

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Bauers. I have several Galvan Torques (T3 - T6). Awesome reels with awesome drags. I have caught fish I have no business catching (ie a 23" rainbow on a 4wt) and the Torque was flawless

taylor16

Reaction score
I love my CFX in my 6wt, but I also have a Torque for my 4wt. All things being equal, I just love my Galvan a touch more.

rasputinj

Reaction score
I love my Galvan Torque T-6 I am just bummed it does not fit my reel seat on my new 6wt bamboo rod. The reel is more of a 7wt than 6wt. Great drag on the Torque

barham

Reaction score
I have a Winston B2x 6wt 9' which thinks it needs a newer, higher priced reel.
I have used a Konic 2 on it and it works great. I have seen the Ross CLA 2 and it would work fine. However, I have been taken by the Galvan T5 or Bauer MC CFX 3. I like the modern look of the Galvan and yet the "retro" look of the Bauer appeals to me. I notice the Bauer has ball bearings while the Galvan does not and that may be an advantage for the Galvan.
Fundamentally, I am trying to make up my mind and get the best reel. I would appreciate any input.
I will be doing fresh water fishing in Texas, Colorado, and Montana.
Thanks,
barham

Jackster

Reaction score
I notice the Bauer has ball bearings while the Galvan does not and that may be an advantage for the Galvan.

barham
I'll take bearings over bushings every time. Bauer upped the number of bearings they use from two sets to three if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure that if bearings gave them any problems at all their newer models would go with the less expensive bushings.
Why is it you prefer bushings? I'm really interested as to why.