Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reel displaying

Blog Entries

Default Re: reel displaying

Great job Gary....I love your wokshop, by the way got some doors and a chest of drawers to renew....when can you come home to give me a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Great job Gary....I love your wokshop, by the way got some doors and a chest of drawers to renew....when can you come home to give me a hand?
    LOL, too bad they took the Concorde out of service, or I'd be right over!
    Gary

3. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

wow great looking project gary!
    i could definitely use something like that,
    my reels are piled up all over the place.
    looking forward to seeing it finished and loaded up

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    I'll soon be posting a step by step on building a wall mounted reel display case. A teaser (hint - its the thing with shelves jutting up out of the mess):
    Gary
    Mess? What mess?
    Oh, I see it. You really should take that container off of your stool, have you no pride and dignity?

I'm liking your prgress on that thing. I'm trying to figure out a cool way to display some collectable flies if you have any ideas.

Gary.
    You Have The Right Gear,Good instructions,also I like your Dovetail Joints Pictured.
    Brian

Thanks, guys! Now, where did that stool waddle off to???
    Gary

Oh....geez.

Well this is embarrassing to post, as I'm a mostly a collector / fisherman of someone elses junk.

The really sad thing is these pictures were taken over a year ago, and I have 12 more months of collecting in fold since these last pics. I think, that I'm now making a conscious effort towards the upgrading process. But will always be a sucker for whatever captivates my attention. On A forum such as this I often feel like the odd ball.

I do really enjoy fishing these vintage reels, and don't think that its something I will ever grow out of. So my preferences, will always differ from the industry standards that sell. I have a Lamson, and a Allen, both nice reels paired up with more modern rods...

I just have this weird urge to buy stuff like this:

Before:

And turn it into this.

And After:

Once done, my next challenge is to try and catch a fish. Once that goal gets accomplished, the process will ultimately be repeated with another project. For me, at least 1/2 of my enthusiasm in this hobby, entails the restoration of some one else's lost / neglected passed down equipment. I do have some mid-priced modern equipment not pictured, but most of the time I go out fishing, it with my vintage stuff I've come to enjoy.

Fly fishing is supposed to be fun, its a hobby and a activity I entered into first with a limited budget. I've now spent more than I have ever planned, but could easily revert back to the basics and I still find a way to have fun in this hobby. I don't think you will ever find me saying vintage items are better, but I do try and sell the theory that they can also be enjoyable. Just Give me a Pflueger, or a Martin, and I will still find a way to manage some good old fashioned fly-fishing fun.
    Last edited by charged; 03-20-2013 at 07:30 PM.

9. Likes kelkay, gt05254 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12