reel displaying

bmbailes

Reaction score
well..i have a problem with collecting reels:) especially all the different models and gens. of Allen reels. i pretty much have a backup reel to every size i have and some that just look cool. how do you display your spare or backup reels for all to admire:)

pics if possible!

noreaster

Reaction score
If you want to upset your wife you lay them all out with rods and flies on the dining room table in anticipation of opening day. :)

This is my Allen II Trout with my old school Sage RPL

gt05254

Reaction score
I'll soon be posting a step by step on building a wall mounted reel display case. A teaser (hint - its the thing with shelves jutting up out of the mess):

Gary

gt05254

Reaction score
Probably in the Lodge section, I guess. Haven't really thought about that yet! Glass doors and two drawers will make it funtional though, I think. Interestingly, the SBS I did on building a furniture-grade rod rack is the all-time leader, in terms of page visits, of any post on my blog. All those pretty pictures of rivers and flies and people, etc, and the rod rack wins out. Who'd a thunk it?
Gary

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've wanted a glass doored cubicle and drawer dispaly grade case for ever. It is great you have the skills and space to build such a wonderfull thing.

gt05254

Reaction score
Its a few days from finished, but I think it will bear up under scrutiny fairly well. I've really gotten into the paint/natural wood contrast over the past year or so. This one is hunter green and a slightly stained pine.

Guess I better get busy!
Gary

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great job Gary:thumbsup:....I love your wokshop:), by the way got some doors and a chest of drawers to renew....when can you come home to give me a hand?:D

gt05254

Reaction score
Great job Gary:thumbsup:....I love your wokshop:), by the way got some doors and a chest of drawers to renew....when can you come home to give me a hand?:D
LOL, too bad they took the Concorde out of service, or I'd be right over!
Gary

caseywise

Reaction score
wow great looking project gary!
i could definitely use something like that,
my reels are piled up all over the place.
looking forward to seeing it finished and loaded up:cool:

casey

Jackster

Reaction score
I'll soon be posting a step by step on building a wall mounted reel display case. A teaser (hint - its the thing with shelves jutting up out of the mess):
Gary
Mess? What mess?
Oh, I see it. You really should take that container off of your stool, have you no pride and dignity? :D

I'm liking your prgress on that thing. I'm trying to figure out a cool way to display some collectable flies if you have any ideas.

L

Liphookedau

Gary.
You Have The Right Gear,Good instructions,also I like your Dovetail Joints Pictured.
Brian

charged

Reaction score
Oh....geez.

Well this is embarrassing to post, as I'm a mostly a collector / fisherman of someone elses junk.

The really sad thing is these pictures were taken over a year ago, and I have 12 more months of collecting in fold since these last pics. I think, that I'm now making a conscious effort towards the upgrading process. But will always be a sucker for whatever captivates my attention. On A forum such as this I often feel like the odd ball.

I do really enjoy fishing these vintage reels, and don't think that its something I will ever grow out of. So my preferences, will always differ from the industry standards that sell. I have a Lamson, and a Allen, both nice reels paired up with more modern rods...

I just have this weird urge to buy stuff like this:

Before:

And turn it into this.

And After:

Once done, my next challenge is to try and catch a fish. Once that goal gets accomplished, the process will ultimately be repeated with another project. For me, at least 1/2 of my enthusiasm in this hobby, entails the restoration of some one else's lost / neglected passed down equipment. I do have some mid-priced modern equipment not pictured, but most of the time I go out fishing, it with my vintage stuff I've come to enjoy.

Fly fishing is supposed to be fun, its a hobby and a activity I entered into first with a limited budget. I've now spent more than I have ever planned, but could easily revert back to the basics and I still find a way to have fun in this hobby. I don't think you will ever find me saying vintage items are better, but I do try and sell the theory that they can also be enjoyable. Just Give me a Pflueger, or a Martin, and I will still find a way to manage some good old fashioned fly-fishing fun.

Last edited: