New rod..Check. New reel....

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
I have gotten great input from all of you guys about a 6wt primary streamer rod. Now I'm looking for some advice on the reel aspect of it all. I know a reel is just a nice line holder that has some function, but i want it to bring the whole package together...asthetically and functionally. I'm looking to pair something to my new 6wt ONE. Ive narrowed the gap to the Lamson Speedster, The Ross EVO LT3 and the Nautilus FWX 5/6. Do any of you have experience with any of them? Looking for reviews both positive and negative. If there any other choices that i may have over looked, key me in on those as well.

Primary use: Targeting territorial browns and bows with streamers on the upper and lower Colorado River, and making friends jealous.:D

trout champ

Reaction score
I have the Nautilus FW5+. The one complaint I have is that my spare spools don't fit/preform as nicely as the spool it came with. It is also a fairly hefty reel. That being said, if I did it again I would have tried to pick up an original Ross Evo or a Sage 4560.

I have a Ross EVO LT 1.5 that I rarely use because I think it's ugly. I have also had a problem with the reel free spooling in extremely cold conditions. Not sure why and my local fly shop said that have seen rare cases of this especially if there is any moisture in the reel.

I do not own any Lamson reels, so no insight there. One of my fly fishing mentors swears by them though.

Hope that help
Randy

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Of the reels that you listed, I am partial to the Lamson Speedster. The reel is built light. That should balance very well with a light rod like the Sage One. The conical style drag is very reliable for the large trout that you will be stalking. It starts up smoothly to protect light tippets. Also the drag covers a large range. Its tall and skinny dimensions make for a very fast line retrieval rate.

Even though most of my other reels are from another brand, I have been fishing Lamson since 2003. My first Lamson that I purchased was a Litespeed 3. The reel and its spare spool have streamer lines on them that I use on trout, American Shad, Steelhead, and Striped Bass. I also have a ULA Force 3x SL that I use on my 8 weight on Striped Bass and American Shad.

My only gripe with Waterworks and Lamsons is the durability. The reels are machined so thin that the spools can be bent. It will happen usually from being dropped or being banged around in a boat.

Dennis

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
My only gripe with Waterworks and Lamsons is the durability. The reels are machined so thin that the spools can be bent. It will happen usually from being dropped or being banged around in a boat.

Dennis
Sounds like what I was talking about with the quest to be the lightest is having an adverse effect on quality. Marketing hype driving things in a bad direction.

The only thing on your list I have, is a few Ross reels. I have not had a problem with them so far. I like them and the drags have been smooth and reliable. In fact in the reel shootout just posted on the forum, they gave the Ross the best drag in the bunch if I remember right.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Galvan Torque Size 6

It would be a no brainer for me to choose the Galvan...

dhayden

Reaction score
I like my Galvin, but I had some issues with the spool, deciding to drop out once in a great while, now it's a backup

I have a Lamson ULA Force 3, extremely light.. it far more durable than I could have imagined. Never an issue with it - had it for about 10 years.

Ross - only have an Evolution - great products

Nautilus - still on my list to check out

Like most things there is no best, just how it suits you

cletus

Reaction score
If you haven't already, I would contact Galvan, they'd make it right. Great customer service. No experience with the other reels

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
From your list the Nautilus is the quality choice in my experience. My only concern is that he FWX 5/6 is a tad light on my ONE #5...You might consider the 7/8. Of course, if you seriously want to make your buds jealous you could consider the Hatch.

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
From your list the Nautilus is the quality choice in my experience. My only concern is that he FWX 5/6 is a tad light on my ONE #5...You might consider the 7/8. Of course, if you seriously want to make your buds jealous you could consider the Hatch.
If i was going for complete domination in jealousy id go Abel, with a nice brown trout finish...... my pockets wont go deep enough for that type of jealousy though.:shades:

gretch6364

Reaction score
I have a Ross Evolution LT on my Scott S4 6wt, and it has been really good for me. I live and fish in Colorado, so it is fun to have an all Colorado made reel and rod. The only complaint I have about the Evolution is when I have it wound in becuase I am walking, sometimes the tippet or leader gets under the spool and I have to pull the spool off part way and fix it. Not sure if the gaps between the frame and spool are wider then my other reels, but never had this issue with my other reels.

I don't think you can go wrong with those that you listed, but I would agree that the Lamson's tend to not take the abuse as well. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with a Hatch reel. I had one on my 4wt, but decided it was topo heavy and way overkill, but on the 6wt, especially a fast 6wt like the One or S4, a more robust drag then the Evolution seems beneficial.

Not sure where in Colorado you are, but you may want to use the 6wt for small to medium sized Carp and that is where the strong drag can be really nice. Just my two cents though. Never owned a Nautilus but hear good things and the Galvan is a winner for sure.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
For the record, Nautilus NV is in as different a league as FWX as Ross F1 is from...the rest of Ross reels. But now we are into Abel and Hatch territory which is more costly. However, when, as I do, you run your leader around the circumference of your reel and affix the fly to an upper guide, run it on the far side of the reel so as to avoid its slipping into the gap (should it exist) between spool and frame.

ghocevar

Reaction score
For the record, Nautilus NV is in as different a league as FWX as Ross F1 is from...the rest of Ross reels. But now we are into Abel and Hatch territory which is more costly.
Understandably so...I was just making a generalization in the fact that I like Nautilus and use their products even though only the FWX is being considered.

I'll try the spool thing...never even crossed my mind to do it that way.

taylor16

Reaction score
Bauer CFX Mackenzie is what I pair with my Winston 6wt, 9' BIIIX. Feels, performs and looks great!

kwb

Reaction score
I like my Galvin, but I had some issues with the spool, deciding to drop out once in a great while, now it's a backup

I have a Lamson ULA Force 3, extremely light.. it far more durable than I could have imagined. Never an issue with it - had it for about 10 years.

Ross - only have an Evolution - great products

Nautilus - still on my list to check out

Like most things there is no best, just how it suits you
I would seriously contact them and get a new reel, you must have a one in a million lemon or something. Used Galvan Torque reels more than anything else over the past few years, never once had an issue.

They are good people, just call them.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Ghocevar, On your NV there is a unique feature that I like a lot. Threaded into the reel foot on the drag knob side of the reel is a small red post. Bringing your leader around the circumference of the reel, pass it over the post which precludes it from slipping off the flat shoulders of the reel. Hence, not only will it not slip into any spool/frame gap but won't slip off the shoulder either. A design detail from people designing reels who actually fish with them.

KWB, I am intrigued by Galvan reels in part because of your and other knowledgeable members of this forum's endorsement. There are design features I see illustrated on their web site that I wonder about; the circular pawl spring and push-button spool release (I prefer a captive, threaded spool release over push-button or leaver and spring type). As, regrettably, they do not attend the Somerset Show, it is hard for me to get to know their product well enough to give it a try. So I have written to them via e-mail a few weeks ago with several relevant questions and have yet to receive a response. I don't mind the phone but before I get personal I like to have something to speak with them about. A small company ignoring an e-mail inquiry is not a good sign in this hotly contested reel market.

kwb

Reaction score
Call... You can literally speak to the guy who designs and builds the reels...

I have never known any of the reel manufacturers to be very good about answering emails that don't pertain to an issue that needs to be resolved...

That being said, I always had my emails responded to within a couple days from Galvan...

glcaddis

Reaction score
You've probably long since gotten a reel, but in case you haven't, don't overlook the Hardys. You can find either disk or C/P reels in the classifieds or the auction sites. They are well built, long-lasting reels that hold their value and the fish.