4 wt reel

ohiohunter

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 4wt rig for small mouth fishing.I all ready have a st.croix rod
Looking for a reel want to spend about $100.

ohiohunter

Reaction score
I wanted to get a 5 wt but fly shop guy talked me into a four weight .I havnt used rod yet do u think I should return it?

noreaster

Reaction score
I have a 4 wt st croix imperial. It's 7"6' so it's great for trout I fish in streams.
I have it paired with the Allen trout II #1
It's great.
How long is your st croix ? It may be light for the larger smallies
Still would be fun though.
Most here would probably suggest a 5 or 6 wt for bass

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I wanted to get a 5 at but fly shop guy talked me into a four weight .I havnt used rod yet do u think I should return it?
I use 6-8 weight rods for smallmouths. They can be caught with a 4 weight under the right conditions, but I like a rod that can handle weighted streamers on sink-tip lines and air-resistant poppers.

You don't need a fancy reel or a heavy-duty drag as long as you have a reel with a palming rim. If you're trying to save a few bucks check out the Cabela's Wind River reel -- normally $30, currently on sale for $20!

ohiohunter

Reaction score
It's an 8 foot rod

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

What's your thoughts on the echo ion

glcaddis

Reaction score
I agree with the moucheur2003, a four wt is pretty limited to the right conditions. I'd think a short 6 wt is a good all round rod for smallmouth.

ohiohunter

Reaction score
Yea most of the fish are small stream fish some lake run fish in spring

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

weatherwar

Reaction score
I would normally recommend at least a five weight. A five is versatile and can still handle some big smallies, a 6 is ideal though (especially if you'er only planning on targeting smallies).

I would take it back and take to him about a five or six weight.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Depends.... I fish a 4wt most of the year, and catch quite a few decent stream smallmouth with it. This time of the year, the bruisers are pretty hungry, so I've been using my 5wt Z-Axis (plenty of fight in the mid down to the butt). After June, most of my smallmouth are in the under 16 inch range, and a 4wt handles that easily. I also use smaller flies than most for smallmouth, but a heavier rod would be better if you want to use big flies.

5wt Z-Axis Smallmouth (casting a 6wt line due to wind):

4wt Sage ZXL Smallmouth:

4wt Sage ZXL Channel Cat(s):

The channel cats and smaller smallmouth were all caught in a fairly swift stream, and the rod was a Sage ZXL 4wt (not a stiff rod at all). No problems with a decent drag and net. The grey reel seen in the channel cat pic is an Okuma SLV. An absolute bargain with a great cork drag. I use the 5/6wt size even for 4wts, and they've performed flawlessly for years. We have more expensive reels, but the Okuma gets the job done for around $60.

caseywise

Reaction score
if your gonna go with a 4 weight for smallmouth the okuma slv is a decent reel for about 60 bucks.
for 99.00 you can get allens new fully machined ats reel. a lighter reel with a better drag.
and imo allens warranty and customer service are much better than okuma.:)
hope this helps.

casey

N

namelesshero

My first reel I ever bought was a low end okuma. Heavy as sin, but built like a tank. Never have had any problems with it. It was only like $40 bucks or something. I also have a hardy ultralight that cost me about $200 and came with rio line! Amazing reel for the price. I am going to purchase one these reels in the picture. They are a new company I think. What do you guys think? I can't find any prices on one though.