Questions and Possible Recommendations

FlyBum

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering several of the Allen Icon rods from 3wt to 7wt. In both 9' and 10'. My plan was to purchase the Trout II reels for all, but the 7wt for that one I was going to get an Alpha III. The kink in my plan is due to how fast the Allen stuff flies of the self they only have Model 1 Trout II's in stock and the the spool is so small it only holds 70 yards of backing that's fine IMO for a 3wt or even 4wt. The next reel up the line is the Model 3 Alpha II, but that sucker holds 200 yards of backing with a 7wt wf line. To use in as a an alternative to the Model 2 Trout II would I have to have an absurd amount of backing if loading it with a 5wt or 6wt wf.

On the 10' rods I'll likely spool the reels with Rio Indicator line - would that line take up enough space on the spool to make using the model 3 Alpha II be a good choice? On the 9' rods I'll use reels spooled with Rio Grand which I hear is a .50 size bigger than standard, but according to Rios website its a 1 size heavier.

Any advice or suggestions or am I'm just being too Anal-lytical?:shades:

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
You shouldn't have any problems the size 3 Alpha II. You need to remember that the Rio Indicator line is a long bellied line. It will take more space on the spool, so there will be less backing on the reel. My guess is that you will have closer to 150 yards of 20 pound test rather than it being closer to 200 yards. On a 7 weight, 150 yards is more than adequate.

Dennis

FlyBum

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
You shouldn't have any problems the size 3 Alpha II. You need to remember that the Rio Indicator line is a long bellied line. It will take more space on the spool, so there will be less backing on the reel. My guess is that you will have closer to 150 yards of 20 pound test rather than it being closer to 200 yards. On a 7 weight, 150 yards is more than adequate.

Dennis

Awesome, thanks Dennis.

Reaction score
you also dont have to load 200 yards of backing.
Just because a car has a top speed of 220mph, doesnt mean you have to drive it that fast.

Load 100 yards a normal, and your line....

FlyBum

Reaction score
You also could consider a right-sized reel from a different maker. The rods won't know the difference.
That is certainly a viable alternative, but not one I'd prefer. It turns out that Allen set me up as they had a couple Trout II's in the warehouse. Anyway its a mute point now. Justin and his crew always take care of me.

bmbailes

Reaction score
Thats a tough choice ! I own the alpha 3 and trout 2!! Love both. My trout reel holds around 100 yrds of backing and 6wt. Rio smallmouth line.