Question about Vintage Hardy Lightweight Reels

glcaddis

Reaction score
I purchased a "Vintage Hardy LRH" from eBay last week and the reel arrived today. I have owned a number of the these reels over the years and every model has always been reversible, until the one I rec'd today. I should have taken some pictures of it before I sent it back but didn't. The click/pawl arrangement resembled the early models of the St John reel and there was no way to reverse it. Also the line guard was riveted to the frame so there was no way to reverse it. And, the line guard was an L-shaped affair rather than the U shape of every other LRH (or other Lightweight reel) I've ever seen.

Was I in possession of a very early model of the this reel? Were other sizes similarly configured? When did the series start to become reversible?

jaybo41

Reaction score
Based on the description you've mentioned it sounds like you had an early model LRH but I cannot say how early. I believe in the 60's they started with the 2 screw models and those would be reversible. From my research, the Lightweight seemed to morph into the LRH as we know them today with some changes and options along the way. I'd have loved to have seen a photo of it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess it was a right hand winding reel.....................

I could be wrong but, early Hardy Lightweight Series reels were made either R or L hand wind and not interchangeable. In or about 1950 - 1951 they introduced the duel pawl interchangeable reels with a line guard that also could be flipped.

I would watch for a late 60's - 70's model to be sure you get one hat is able to be switched.

Ard

glcaddis

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I did send the reel back as after 40+ years of reeling left-handed, I too old to change my ways. When I looked very closely at the photos of the reel that accompanied it on eBay, I should have realized that I was getting a RH only reel, but I didn't look that closely at them until today when I rec'd it in the mail. I'm sure in a few days it will be back on the auction site, with pictures.

kelkay

Reaction score
It does sound like an early model. I wish I had pics of it too. I only use RHW so that would of been a real treat. :) I cast left handed, and reel in right handed. :)

jaybo41

Reaction score
Kelly, you are primed for some of those vintage Hardys! The most beautiful Perfects I've seen are from years past and have a finish of patina that cannot be replicated by anything other than time and use.

I really should give reeling with the right hand more of a shot, at least for trout anyway. I tried it once for Steelhead and let me tell you, that was that work!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I cast right, reel left. My wife casts left and reels right. My most traditional friends (several) cast right and reel right...it is the CORRECT way they maintain. In a pinch, hooking a fish on a friend's rod, I can reel with my right hand but I strongly prefer fighting a fish with my more dominant arm.

Back in the old days when fly fishing was all but exclusively performed in streams, Hardy and others assumed we should all reel with our right hand and thought little of offering options. I don't think I have ever seen a St. George (never have owned one due to this), my favorite classic Hardy, with a left hand circular line guard. Hardy offered a left hand Perfect around 1970...I bought one for my cane rod at the time but soon realized that it was less than "perfect"; putting the agate line guard and pawl/spring set-up left handed didn't work if they did not bother to reverse the threading direction on the spindle...fishing left handed un-screwed the spool! Well, this came from the same country that built Austin Healys.

Is there a "correct" side to wind your reel from? Yes, the one you are comfortable with. Lee Wulff started when young reeling right handed as he had little choice. As an adult, he switched all his reels to left hand wind as it seemed more intelligent to him.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

You kindled a memory here. Years ago I found a vintage & mint (as new) St. George 3 3/4 with the smoky agate guard. I knew what I was getting into but convinced myself that to finally own one would be worth the business of it being a right hand winder........... I never warmed up to it, I loved the look of this classic but when I moved to Alaska I sold it and used the proceeds toward another salmon reel that I could set for left handed operation.

If a fellow likes to reel using their right hand the old reels are perfect, pun intended, but otherwise I believe they will be disappointed when trying to change their style.