looking not to break the bank

peter hanman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I was looking for some advice about reels that won't cost more than $100. I just got at 3-5wt and 7-9wt topflite reels for my 5wt and 8wt rods. Firstly I was wondering anyone's thoughts on these reels and if there are any other good brands that don't destroy my wallet that I should know about. Secondly I was wondering about reel oil. What brands should I use? How often should I oil my reels?

Many thanks, and happy fishing!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Peter, welcome to the site! I've been using Okuma Reels for several years & like them very much. Not expensive, good quality for the price & have held up very well. I have a couple of Sierra's & Integrity's. I rarely fish for trout, so the Sierra's get used for panfish on 3 & 4 wt rods, while the Integrity's get used for LM bass, SM bass & Striped bass on 8, 9 & 10 wt rods.

On my 6 wt is a Lamson LP-2 reel that I bought in 1989. This was before they became Waterworks/Lamson. It's no longer made & is still going strong. Lamson reels are generally more expensive than the $100 limit you've set, but if you can find one for that price or under, they're a fine, well made reel.

I use 3 in 1 oil on my fly reels. You really don't need a special oil, and any light reel oil will work. With hard use, I'll clean & oil them 2 or 3 times a year unless they get dunked, then I'll do it more often. I also fish in brackish water quite a bit, so have to be concerned with salt. Have never had a problem with any fly reel in the 47 years I've been fly fishing. :D

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum peter:D
although i cant speak for the reel you mentioned, i can highly recommend allen fly reels.
in particular the new ats reel, which also falls right in your price range;)
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
good reel for the money and absolutely awesome customer service.
plus if you were to get it now, you'd qualify for their deal of the week
Free Compass WFF Fly Line - Allen Fly Fishing Store
sweet deal:)
and allen is a sponsor here:cool:

casey

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Hi Peter--

I don't have any experience with topflite reels, but I can recommend the LL Bean Pocket Water reel for your 5wt. It's a little loud for my taste, but performs very well and has an ironclad warranty--all for a helluva price.

itchmesir

Reaction score
+1 for Okuma... Great reel at a real bargain... Have 2 SLVs and an Integrity..

Echo Ion is another solid reel to look at...

ted4887

Reaction score
Like these guys have said, the Okuma SLV is a great reel, as well as the Echo Ions. The Ion, IMO, is a more solid reel (it's also $50 more than the SLV's) with a very solid drag.

You really would be hard pressed to go wrong with either of these reels.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Okuma reels are good value for the money, and I own several myself, but they do have a large foot that doesn't fit on all rods. If you want an Okuma, best to try it on the rod you're planning to use before you buy it. If you can't, at least buy it from someplace that has a no-questions-asked return policy, just in case you bring it home and find it doesn't fit.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I just got at 3-5wt and 7-9wt topflite reels for my 5wt and 8wt rods.
If you have not done so, line them up, and fish the snot out of them. Let us know how they work. The 3-5 weight model can't be that bad especially since it will most likely be a line holder.

Firstly I was wondering anyone's thoughts on these reels and if there are any other good brands that don't destroy my wallet that I should know about.
Sorry. I just learned about Topflite reels from this thread. As for sub $100 reels, check out the selections from Orvis and Redington. Usually my first choice for a lower price pointed 8 weight reel is a Lamson Konic 3.5. It cost more than what you want, but sometimes you can snipe one from eBay under $100.

Secondly I was wondering about reel oil. What brands should I use? How often should I oil my reels?
Jim already gave a good response about oil.

Dennis

peter hanman

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. It has really helped me a lot. It looks like Okuma has a pretty good following amongst the replies and I was wondering if they have any reels with removable spools. For say one with floating and one with sinking line. I figure these are a little more pricey. I ask because I use my 8wt lake fishing for LM bass at home in Missouri and pike when I travel up to Canada for an annual trip. I was thinking of having the ability to use floating line for the bass and sinking for the pike while still having the same reel. Is is worth it for the price? What are the prices? Again thanks for te replies I really look forward to learning from you all

bigjim5589

Reaction score
That should not be a problem. I've purchased additional spools for all the Okuma reels I have. It's highly likely that most modern fly reels have extra spools available. The costs will vary, but I think most can be had for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the reel. If you search around & are patient, you can get them for less. :rolleyes:

mikel

Reaction score
you can swap out spools on all of these reels...I have a floater and sinker (whether I line, sink tip, full sink etc) spooled up for most all of my reels.

kelkay

Reaction score
If we are talking about modern reels only, I like the Allen, and the Okuma Integrity. I have 2 older model Allen reels. I have not tried the ATS, I think that one is the only one in your budget. If you want to wait a little for an Allen, you may get a deal on one, when they are closing out the older lines, and making way with the newer models. I have the Allen XL, and the Alpha. (Allen reels)

connahhh

Reaction score
Do you have an orvis outlet nearby? Ive found some incredible deals there in the past.

badfish creek

Reaction score
For the money you can NOT beat the Okuma SLV. It would still be a deal at 4 times the price!!! I have been stopping freight trains i.e. steelhead with mine fora long time. Spare spools are available of course.