What weight reel for a Sage One 10' 4 wt?

selahflyman

Reaction score
Question: I've decided to buy a Sage One 4100 (10' 4wt), and I am wondering what reel weight (in ounces) will best balance the rod. I've considered a few different reels (line size 4) from various manufacturers (Sage, Lamson, Hardy, etc.), and have noticed that the weight of the reel can vary by an ounce or more (e.g., from 3 3/4 oz to 4 7/8 oz). I will use the rod primarily for throwing nymph rigs. How would the reel weight affect "fishability" in terms of 5 or 6 hours of fishing nymphs on big water (repeated casting and mending)? What are the pros and cons of a lighter weight reel verus a heavier weight reel with a 10' 4 wt rod that weighs 3 oz.?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

russellb

Reaction score
I fish a 10' 5wt Sage RPL that I purchased back in 1992. It is a great nymph rod for bigger rivers and paired with the right line it's quite dry fly savvy as well.

Over the past many years this rod has had several reels lashed to it and each changed the way the rod felt and cast-

1) Lamson LP3. This was the first reel on this rod and it was kind of heavy in my opinion. The added weight of the reel seemed to dampen the action a tad as well as be tiresome after a long day on the water.

2) Sage 5200. The 5000 series reels made by Sage in the 90s were pretty much an Abel. It was lighter than the Lamson but still a tad heavy for what I was after. Thinking back it may have been the 5300.

3) Sage 707. After some looking around I found one of the Sage 700 series reels that were made in Sweden by Loop/Danielsson. Even though this reel was made for a 7wt rod they are very very light. When I put this reel on my 5wt the rod seemed to come alive. I moved the Sage 5000 series to my 10' 6wt Steelhead rod.

4) Abel Super 5N. This is the current reel and the one pictured in my avatar. This reel feels that it was made specifically for this rod. Perfection.

So, with all that said if the 10' 4wt were mine I would look very hard at an Abel Super 4N, a Bauer or go vintage with a Sage 505 or 705. A J Ryall number 4 would rock also. In any case that is a great rod and I would want an equally great reel on it.

selahflyman

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input--I appreciate it. I recently purchased the rod and paired it with a Sage 4250. It feels a little tip heavy, but I'm going to fish it some more before I make a final conclusion. I'm making a trip in a few days to fish the Green River in Utah, and then Henry's Fork in Idaho on the way home. That should be a pretty good test--I'll let you know.

trout champ

Reaction score
Wish i saw this before. I paired mine with a Ross Evo LT 1.5. I was going to go with a Sage 4230, but they did not have the color I wanted. The 4230 would be killer on that rod!

Randy

Reactions: Ard

daveyj

Reaction score
I use the Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill 3 with 400 yds gel spun backing. Balance is perfect and YES balance is critical. I also need the 400 yds of backing! I have had several fish spool me even with 400 yds. Yes, they were big, powerful fish. I am a PhD Fishery Scientist and fish in places with big game fish. I prefer the 4wt. Whenever possible. I also use the Orvis Clearwater 10 ft. 4wt and Orvis 10 ft. 4wt. With the same reels. I have three of the same reels, one I use for five wt., which I have landed 52pound King Salmon with. Four weights give a nice presentation. Some fish are not that far away, or will run that hard, but the reel balances better with the 400 ft. Of backing. I was a friend of Lee Wulff and know Joan as well. They have both spoke at TU Banquets I was the keynote speaker at. They were a little more tolerant of real, rod balance as Joan learned championship casting with old world fly casting champion Bill Taylor. He cast in those championships with no reel.