Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default reel choice for bass/pike

im looking for a reel mainly for bass and pike and the occasional trout and/or panfish. i am not really looking to spend a fortune. maybe $150 at the most. the rod would be an 8wt TFO TiCR.
    any recommendations?
    thanks

Default Re: reel choice for bass/pike

The Lamson Konic would be a good choice, as would the Cortland Endurance. This shop sells both and is a site sponsor fly fishing - fly fishing gear
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: reel choice for bass/pike

misterchengmoua,

It would be hard to beat an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV at $129. If you get one by 1/31 it also includes backing and $59 worth of floating fly line.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Default Re: reel choice for bass/pike

I've never fished for pike with a fly rod, but I'd think you'd want something with a smooth disc drag so you if you hooked a clunker, you could play the fish from the reel a little easier. I'd really love to hear from the people here who have caught big pike on fly rods, how they played the fish and what they thought about the importance of the reel's drag.

For myself, I generally have no problems just stripping in smaller bass, not using the reel as anything more than a line holder and instead using my fingers to manipulate the fly line, but I've never caught a bass longer than about 11 inches, nor do I usually fish for the clunker bass so take this with the proverbial grain of salt.