Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Carbon fiber when?

I get it now, the old Graphite BFR reels are molded and machined graphite composites and not the real deal. I will be watching for Badfishcreek's thread, it would be very cool to see a member make one of these.

Pete are you watching this thread?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

those old cg reels wore out at the shaft. I fished them for shad and after a few seasons they began to wobble..sold them off
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

After a days worth of just running ideas in my head here is where I think I am going to start. I am in the planning stages of my next rod build. I could go with a 3/4 wt or a 5/6wt. I already have a 5wt so a 3 or 4 wt it will be. With that said I will need a 3/4wt reel! So why not build one myself right!?!? Looking at a 3" dia spool(need to figure out the width still). Simple click pawl to prevent spool over run with old school palm drag. Something mid arbor, with a couple of bearings for good measure. I am sure it will take me some time to truly get my head around a workable design but let's see where we can go with this thing!

4. Likes noreaster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
    After a days worth of just running ideas in my head here is where I think I am going to start. I am in the planning stages of my next rod build. I could go with a 3/4 wt or a 5/6wt. I already have a 5wt so a 3 or 4 wt it will be. With that said I will need a 3/4wt reel! So why not build one myself right!?!? Looking at a 3" dia spool(need to figure out the width still). Simple click pawl to prevent spool over run with old school palm drag. Something mid arbor, with a couple of bearings for good measure. I am sure it will take me some time to truly get my head around a workable design but let's see where we can go with this thing!
    I love your adventurous spirit. I really enjoy seeing folks make their own gear. This will be really neat to see unfold. Goodluck carbon fiber pioneer. And I think you picked a good place to start with the 3/4 wt. Definitely a market for a light strong reel in the lighter weights.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

This won't be anything mass produced just a one off reel for myself. General layout is a carbon fiber open bore spool(3" dia x1" wide, 2" arbor), simple click pawl drag. I have the carbon fiber and some other materials ordered and on their way to me. I will draw up the basic CAD design in SolidWorks once the raw materials gets here so I can verify specs first.

Badfish, sounds great. I think you are onto a great deal.

Pete A.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12