Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    The guys have already offered many reel choices and I won't confuse the issue with more but...........

I'll bet when you fell outta the boat the guide about had a heart attack. It musta been exciting for both of you! Did you take a picture of the fish?

Ard
    Waiting for the pics from the guide (he's a professional photographer too so he took the pics).
    My guides exact words were "Oh man you lost your cigar" Thankfully it was cold, windy and raining so a little water down the waders wasn't too bad
    The advice here was stellar,
    I think I may hit the lamson guru that's on sale, but they skip from a 4wt model to a 6wt model, this may be a stupid question but which do i get
    for a 5wt.

Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

I personally have the smaller on my 5wt but I might get the 6wt if I were to do it again. Just add a bit more backing. Really probably doesn't matter much either way.
    - William

The guru 1.5 is for 3-4wt and the guru 2 is for 5-6wt rods. I personally use the guru 2 (5-6wt) for my rods that are 4, 5 or 6wt. They are very light reels.

Edit* The guru 4 I ordered is for 10-11wt rods but will be used for 8, 9 and 10 wt rods for me.

I'm waiting for Sweet&Salt to show up here and lay waste to all you Lamson Konic fans! (He has a big issue with the width of the spool, if you haven't heard).

FWIW I do not own one, but am looking at the Hardy line-up of Ultralites. Just beautiful lines on a contemporary style reel. From the Click Check starting at $169 to the DD at $225, to me you can't get much better. And if you're interested in the idea of one reel and multiple spools, which is an excellent plan I think, you'd have to consider the Ultralite CLS which uses cassettes rather than spools. The reel starts at $260 but the cassettes are $13! One new spool for any of the other less expensive reels and you've already done over the CLS and a couple spare cassettes.

I'm not sure if these reels are still made in England or not. It's hard to believe they are for the prices. Either way, they are still highly reviewed.

I bought a used Ross CLA from someone here on the forum, but I just can't stand the color, so I'll probably sell it and get a new reel for my new 5wt. These Hardy's will be hard to pass up!

5. Likes waterfordcreek liked this post

Rivertrout, I have a question of curiosity, there is no wrong answer. Wondering if you were already looking at the Lamson and the recommendation from a member helped confirm your decision, or perhaps the fact it is a good reel and is also on sale?

We have many new and not so new members ask this very question about reels or rods and have since become intrigued about what guides the decision making process.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Drag on the SLVs is pretty much buttery smooth imho... unless you get sand in them... but a simple rinse in the stream fixes that quickly... I've fought a couple trout on the reel with my SLV and it performed flawlessly... get yourself this reel at $50~ and save the other $100 for some primo line

Best reel for the money...by far!!....Allen reels!

9. Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Rivertrout, I have a question of curiosity, there is no wrong answer. Wondering if you were already looking at the Lamson and the recommendation from a member helped confirm your decision, or perhaps the fact it is a good reel and is also on sale?

We have many new and not so new members ask this very question about reels or rods and have since become intrigued about what guides the decision making process.

Dave
    Lamson is one of the brands that was mentioned to me by guides and a name I've heard repeatedly in the past. The overwhelming support for them today seems to be pushing me in that direction.

10. Likes littledavid123, billyspey liked this post
    Blog Entries

check out the allen trout II reels-
    very nice reel for the coin
    Trout II Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

ARFE

12. Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    check out the allen trout II reels-
    very nice reel for the coin
    Trout II Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
    A few people mentioned them to me, they look nice but I haven't heard of them before outside of mentions on internet forums. For the price I am nervous especially since I can pick up a "name brand" lower-end model for the same price (Like a Konic or Access reel)....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast