Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rod and reel

Default Re: rod and reel

Hi Paul,

A 4wt line would be too light for your 5wt rod. You need to get a 5wt WF fly line. You have to size the line to match the rod. You will have a hard time learning to cast your rod with a 4wt line. It can be done but you will just be making it harder to learn how to cast.

Frank

2. Default Re: rod and reel

Water is the Ultimate place to practice. Grass will hurt the line to a point, also dirt or grass stains will hurt.

3. Default Re: rod and reel

Ok so I need to match the wt of the rod not the reel.

thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes that is correct even if you have to toss that reel.

Frank

frank's right about the line, but you also may still be able to use that reel. depends what kind of trout you'll fish for. i've been trout fishing for 6-7 years and have never had a fish take me to the backing. sad, i know i know. if that 3/4 reel is "cheap" enough, it may be heavy enough to balance your 8 foot 5wt rod. the reel will be slightly physically smaller than what a "normal" 5wt reel would look and act like on that rod but that may be only 1/8 an inch in diameter. it may not affect you at all. you'll get more backing on with a WF5 line than a DT5 line...

100 yards of backing on a reel may be seen as normal, but if you only get 10-20 yards of normal backing on there, for the kind of trout i encounter, you'll be fine. in another situation i used a 5/6 lamson radius reel with an 8wt line. i never saw the backing then either, but LMB don't run far i've been told. i've since purchased the correctly sized reel for that rod.

eric
    fresno, ca.

6. Default Re: rod and reel

Right on ezamora, All I can add to that is I use Orvis Battenkill Large Arbors, need I say more LOL I am lucky to get 50 yrds.

7. Default Re: rod and reel

Thanks for the information, I love this place

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12