vintage reel

lupe21

Reaction score
hey guys I am new here, I am a big bass fisherman, but have always wanted to get into fly fishing as I live about an hour from good trout spots now I do fish for trout but when I do Is just use a open face reel and ultra lite rod recently I purchased a hardy the perfect 3 1/8 fly reel, I gave 10 bucks for the thing, from what I understand it would be better to put this up, are these good little reels and I are they worth anything, also if you where to fish it what all purpose fly rod for around 100-200 would you get for it

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I cannot figure out how to post pictures but here is a link to where I have posted pictures at Vintage Fly Reels - Fishing Rods, Reels, Line, and Knots - Bass Fishing Forums

jaybo41

Reaction score
$10 for a Hardy Perfect, with an agate line guard none the less????:eek::eek::eek:

That's one heckuva major score there! I'm talking score of a lifetime! Congratulations on your purchase! Has it been fished and does it have some rash on it? If so, I'd fish it. If it's never been fished, then I might be inclined to put it on a shelf. Truly there is no wrong answer here, for $10 that is an absolutely incredible score!

I'm not sure what size streams you fish or what size flies you intend to use, but an 8'6 to 9'0 4wt might just fit the bill with that reel and there are no shortage of options.

Do you like a fast, medium, slow action rods?

Welcome to the forum and once again, congratulations on the score of a lifetime! Here's a link for you to read on how to post pictures on the forum. Basically, you need to use an image hosting website, such as photobucket.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f.../303141-few-tips-posting-pictures-forums.html

lupe21

Reaction score
Thanks for The reply I posted a safe link to pictures I would say the reel is maybe 7-8/10 cosmetically mostly rash but not to much

lupe21

Reaction score
I bought it of a guy who deals in old furniture usually what he does is buy a estate he had the reel hidden with a bunch of junk in his warehouse he offered to me for 10 bucks and told him if he wanted I would research it for him before I purchased it he said no ten bucks was fine I feel kind of guilty

kelkay

Reaction score
Lupe21, I had to pick myself off the floor, when I read your post. I guess you know I am jealous as all get out. Good grief, you made one heck of a deal. I never come across deals like that. Wow. I am in shock. You are one lucky dude. :D

half fast

Reaction score
If that reel happened to come attached to an old rod that looks like it might be made of bamboo, just send me the rod and I'll take care of the disposal for you.....

:)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That reel is worth hundreds of dollars. Good for you. You have started at the top.
In all likelihood RT's probably very close to being right. If you ever decide to part company with the reel check in with the SpeyPages web board. Hardy's like this one won't last an hour.

itchmesir

Reaction score
hey guys I am new here, I am a big bass fisherman, but have always wanted to get into fly fishing as I live about an hour from good trout spots now I do fish for trout but when I do Is just use a open face reel and ultra lite rod recently I purchased a hardy the perfect 3 1/8 fly reel, I gave 10 bucks for the thing, from what I understand it would be better to put this up, are these good little reels and I are they worth anything, also if you where to fish it what all purpose fly rod for around 100-200 would you get for it

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I cannot figure out how to post pictures but here is a link to where I have posted pictures at Vintage Fly Reels - Fishing Rods, Reels, Line, and Knots - Bass Fishing Forums
Fishing gear is meant to be fished... There are very very very few items that deserve the "put it up and only look at it"... Personally you're only disrespecting it by NOT fishing it... If you're not gonna fish it send it to me and I'll put it to good use

BTW That reel deserves a good bamboo rod... Not some modern day plastic rod

lupe21

Reaction score
sure I will send it to you where do you live oh shipping is 500 bucks :D I think I will use it in the future, but first I have to learn how to fly fish

lupe21

Reaction score
its right handed, why must this reel be fished on a bamboo rod, ive looked at some and they are pricey and what is a good mid range one or could I not just put it on a graphite something like a sage response

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use it on any rod you would wish to. People often use them with bamboo to counter the heavy tip weight of many bamboo rods. Modern bamboo rods are quite light but often still are a bit heavier in the tips than graphite.

Ard