Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

Default Re: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    With this outfit you CAN fish for trout! What line did you rig?
    It has a great smooth action, I went with the SA Texture Trout Stalker in WF5- CASTS AMAZING!

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    That's a dandy! I have a particular affinity for these reels and absolutely love fishing for trout with them. Congrats on a fantastic buy and a most excellent pairing on that Sage LL.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike, I too have liked the 500 series for a while, this is the first one I've owned. However, I have owned both Sage 700 series and 5000 series reels. I hope to acquire a Sage 503L and 509 sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    It has a great smooth action, I went with the SA Texture Trout Stalker in WF5- CASTS AMAZING!

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Thanks Mike, I too have liked the 500 series for a while, this is the first one I've owned. However, I have owned both Sage 700 series and 5000 series reels. I hope to acquire a Sage 503L and 509 sometime in the future.
    I have a Sage LL 490-2 - GIII Blank like your 590 - and I use the SA Textured Trout Stalker on it in WF4 - WOW, what a pairing those two are together. It's an absolute pleasure to fish with that rod and line. Seeing your 505L on there makes me consider using one of my Sage 500 series reels on mine - it only seems to make sense

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    I have a Sage LL 490-2 - GIII Blank like your 590 - and I use the SA Textured Trout Stalker on it in WF4 - WOW, what a pairing those two are together. It's an absolute pleasure to fish with that rod and line. Seeing your 505L on there makes me consider using one of my Sage 500 series reels on mine - it only seems to make sense

Cheers,
    Mike.
    The Textured Trout Stalker seems to be a great fit for the LL Sages, old school IM6 Loomis and Winston rods. On my RPLs (5100 and 790) I really like the Textured GPX WF lines. My next hunt will be for either a 503L for a 7'9 3wt Winston or a Sage 711 for Sage Moderate Action 990.

If you get a chance I'd love to see a family pic of your 500 series Sage reels- very cool...

Additionally, If you are in the Chi area, I would road trip northwest to the West Fork of the Kickapoo in Wi, one of my favorite trout streams.

4. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post
  5. Default Re: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    Interesting! How do they compare pricewise? (JLH to Sage 500 series) Also what does the JLH stand for?
    James L Hardy, I have no idea off the top of my head what the L stood for, although I'm sure one of my Hardy history books has the info. I don't remember what they retailed for. I think both were in the $150-$200 range when they were discontinued.

Used, you use to be able to find the Sages cheaper, and the Sage non-lights didn't have as much porting and were a little heavier. But alas their are no more secrets on Ebay so both the Sage and the JLH tend to go for decent money, about $250. Most of the JLH's were dark grey, they made a few "golden" JLH's that are the same color as the Sage. I don't know if they were a special edition or if Hardy had some left over un-marked Sages after the contract ran out.

But I like mine a lot, I've landed more than a few 20" class Browns with it.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

I believe the "L" is for Lawrence, but don't hold me to it.

Congratulations on your 505, until I had seen them in person I'd not realized just how special they are. Fortunately Chi has a wide angle lens on his camera if he's got the time, he might just be able to fit them all into one photo for you

That's one beautiful pairing you've got there russell!
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

7. Likes russellb liked this post
    Blog Entries

You know Russel, I've been missing you here and was soon to send a 'Proof of Life' PM to you my friend. I know a good many here know what the messages are because they get them when they disappear.

What a terrific pair and a nice big reel (I love big reels) I know how stoked you are with that set because of your Sage love posts of the past. Congratulations on building a superb and vintage outfit,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes russellb liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
    James L Hardy, I have no idea off the top of my head what the L stood for, although I'm sure one of my Hardy history books has the info. I don't remember what they retailed for. I think both were in the $150-$200 range when they were discontinued.
    OK that makes sense; never thought of of it being his name. They are definitely a step up from the Marquis series, no wobbles and such.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    You know Russel, I've been missing you here and was soon to send a 'Proof of Life' PM to you my friend. I know a good many here know what the messages are because they get them when they disappear.

What a terrific pair and a nice big reel (I love big reels) I know how stoked you are with that set because of your Sage love posts of the past. Congratulations on building a superb and vintage outfit,

Ard
    Thanks Ard! The past 18 months have been very busy with work related travel plus last summer was one of our hottest and driest on record. It seemed that any free time I had I was engaged in my other passion- distance running.

This year is shaping to be cooler, and wetter and with little to no work related travel I am running and fishing! This coming week I will be kayaking on the North Fork of the White, a fast western style river chasing rainbows and browns.

As far as the reel size, I was surprised by the diameter, it is a pretty big reel. The great designers at Hardy hit a home run as the reel is both very narrow and very light.

Large diameter and narrow width; that's what we're talking about! I know I wrote a review of Textured Trout Stalker #4 so you would think I would have included it in my recent re-evaluation of Sage ONE#5 line match-up (in the Rod Forum)...but I don't have one and didn't. I am going to have to address this oversight. Great and logical choice for your outfit.

13. Likes russellb liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12