Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Abel in Pewter or Platinum?

Anyone have an Abel real in either of these colors? I'd like to see a photo. The pictures I see all look different to me. I always thought i liked the pewter more, but I saw a picture of a reel in platinum today (a candid, not from teh Abel website) and thought it looked great. I already have the reel I want in the standard black, but would like to get an extra spool.

Thanks.

Default Re: Abel in Pewter or Platinum?

I have had a platinum finish TR Light in the past. Don't get me wrong, Abel's are some of the best reels on the market. However, the platinum finish wasn't for me so I eventually sold the reel. It had a very reflective mirror-like finish. Here are a few pictures I had handy.

-Chase

3. Likes kelkay liked this post

I really like the two tone reels and either platinum or pewter would look good. At first I thought the platinum was too stark, too "mag wheel-like" for my taste, but it is growing on me. The pewter on the other hand is a win from the start, every pic I have seen the color has a bit of blue in it, nice.

If you're going that direction, go all the way and get platinum. After all, fish are attracted to shiny objects. Just remember to wear a good pair of shades when you're out there.

-VB

Blog Entries

I put a pewter Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor on my four weight. It's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    If you're going that direction, go all the way and get platinum. After all, fish are attracted to shiny objects. Just remember to wear a good pair of shades when you're out there.

-VB
    Years ago I remember watching a guy casting a rod with a very shinny reel and every time he made a casting move the sun caught it just right and it flashed bright as if he was throwing bolts of lightening across the water.
    And I could see this from 1/4 mile away.
    It was not very stealthy. I don't think that he caught anything
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I dunno, I fished with an Orvis Mid Arbor reel in Titanium for years and didn't notice that I couldn't catch fish because of the color.

I have a Super 4 in Platinum and am happy with it. It's a great match for my 590. If you like a natural aluminum color or a close match to a nickel reel seat, Platinum is a good option. I saw a Pewter in person once, it has a slight blue tinge to it which looked nice as well. If you are looking for more of a stealth approach, you can't go wrong with Abel's black options either though. Matte or Black, both beautiful.

Don't get me started on the HD Brown, Brook, Von Behr, etc finishes.

Here's the now retired Orvis:

The Abel:

~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

9. Likes kelkay, von behr liked this post
  10. Default Re: Abel in Pewter or Platinum?

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going pewter.