Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-Weight Fly Reel Challenge

Blog Entries

Default 8-Weight Fly Reel Challenge

Gerard posted this link in the bonefish thread, but I thought it should have it's own thread to make it easier to find as it is verry interesting to read if you are in the market for an 8 wt reel:
    2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing

Thanks Gerard for posting this link!!!!!
    Larry

Default Re: 8-Weight Fly Reel Challenge

Awesome article! It gave me a lot of good advice on what to look for when next purchasing a reel. Thanks a lot

South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire

This type article is invaluable to a relatively new fly fisherman like me. Kudos to Trident, Yellowstone and others who take on these projects. Yes, I know that some of it is subjective, but it gives someone like me with no frame of reference, at place to start.

It's funny that I just stumbled across Trident's website last night and then see this post this morning. Of course I stayed up half the night digesting their results.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Gerard posted this link in the bonefish thread, but I thought it should have it's own thread to make it easier to find as it is verry interesting to read if you are in the market for an 8 wt reel:
    2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing

Thanks Gerard for posting this link!!!!!
    Hey Larry
    Thanks. I think it is a great tool, full of useful information. It is a pity that some reel manufacturers reels were not included (Nautilus springs to mind), my understanding from Trident is they asked all to participate/supply reels for testing and those that did, they tested.
    Personally I think little emphasis should be put on the looks/finish etc, as that is very much in the eye of the beholder and budget constraints. An example is the Orvis reel, comparing it's finish with a Tibor at nearly 50% more , hardly a fair comparison.
    The other thing which very few reviews focus on is the fit of spools. One of my great gripes is when there is play in a spool when locked into the reel. I was was interested in a Hatch reel and as they are very difficult to find in UK, so mail order, was keen to inspect one. They had them in Belize at Turneffe Flats when I was there earlier this year. I was really surprised at the amount of play in the spool. I checked the reel over, made sure the screw cap was tight etc...it was play in the bearing/brake (there was no such play on their Nautilus reels). This means when the lines is being pulled out at speed, the spool has movement, a wobble if you like. Not satisfactory in my mind for high dollar reels.
    My Sage has none, nor my Orvis and once the Abel has been tightened from its park position, none either.
    It is this sort of thing that I would prefer to see reviewers focus on, rather than whether a reel will "impress your friends on the flats!!!"
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

This a cool thing to read and not bad info. But there are a few thing I will pick at. They should have taken out price, looks, sounds, warranty and even spool with or reel volume. I feel like I want to know how good the hardware is first the they can do a separate plot for the list mentioned above...

@ Gerard the reason they only did these reels is because these were the only companies that sent them reels to test.

Those hatch reels are pretty nice. My next buy for sure

That Orvis Mirage is sweet. The price is way out of my league though. I enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

8. Default Re: 8-Weight Fly Reel Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    That Orvis Mirage is sweet. The price is way out of my league though. I enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing.
    Buy the Hydros. That's what I use on my 7wt and 8wt, and it has just about the stopping power of the Mirage. For the price, I believe it's the best reel on the market.

No Galvan or Nautilus in the test. Both are great reels.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by j lee View Post
    No Galvan or Nautilus in the test. Both are great reels.

That's because Galvan and Nautilus did not send in reels to get tested. I posted why on a few posts above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast