New Fly Reel Company

taylorreels

Reaction score
We wanted to jump in and start a new thread. Last year we started a new fly fishing reel company Taylor Reels. We got a head start by launching a very successful kickstarter campaign earlier this year. Our vision to provide reels that are affordable and of extreme quality. We just became a business member on the forums and plan on participating frequently on all kinds of different message boards. This is our formal introduction to the forum, and we are looking forward to meeting many new people through it. If you have any questions feel free to ask! Check us out at Taylor Reels:: Quality and Affordable Fly Fishing Reels

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello & Welcome to the Forum!

I am hoping that you will benefit from being able to promote your products here with us. Our membership always has someone looking for a new reel :) Are you planning to expand your product range in the near future? Wow, very nice reels at a good price!

Ard

kelkay

Reaction score
Your reels look great. That copper colored one really is beautiful. Love the color. Good price. But where is it made, and I would like to see photos of the insides of the reels. I mostly buy vintage/classic reels. I like the sound of them, and they were made to last. But now and then I see something I have to have...lol. Do your reels have incoming, and outgoing sound? Can you turn the sound off with a switch? How loud are they? Those are the questions I think people would want to know. Also diagrams on your site would be very helpful. I also like to see instruction videos on how to clean, and maintain your reel. I think it is a big plus if companies do that. Welcome aboard, it is great to have you join us.

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice looking reels! I particularly like the copper one though the black caught my eye too. I might have missed it on the site but do you have info on them. i.e. weight, capacity, machined or cast, etc. ?

Thanks and welcome!

taylorreels

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Wow we got alot of questions and interaction quickly. Our site has a ton of info on our reels. Click on the menu team that says "the reels" for specific info. The reel we have for sale now is available in 3-4wt and 5-6wt. We have a salt water friendly reel releasing this summer that will be available in some larger sizes. We plan on launching a second kickstarter campain to intorduce our new reel. Right now we are manufacturing reels overseas in two countries. Some of the manufactures we are using make reels for the largest fly fishing companies in the world (I'm not allowed to give out much more info than that). We also are in process of introducing a line of reels that are completely manufactured in the USA. We don't have a specific date for release on that yet but are shooting for sometime in 2014. Some of the new products that we have in r&d right now are truely fine works of art. We really believe and stand by our products and believe that our customers will be pleased with the quality of reel that they get for the price!

enolaeagle

Reaction score
Looks nice! Love the copper and think I would buy one of these.

Since you're a reel company only- is there any specific brand of rod (or series) that you recommend as a more compatable match?

notenuftoys

Reaction score
Really nice looking reels! Good job! I've bookmarked your site for future consideration.

taylorreels

Reaction score
I can't really say I recommend a specific rod. I fish everything from hardy, st. Croix, orvis, loomis, etc... ( I'm a bit of a tackle junkie). My favorite rod I own is my orvis if that means anything.

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice, I found the info. The page loaded funny in chrome and the drop-down menu under 'reels' didn't load right so I was just looking at the reels on the purchase page. Loaded fine in Firefox and Explorer and the information looks great.

taylorreels

Reaction score
That's strange that it didn't load well because chrome is my primary browser. I have not had anyone else ever tell me they have had issues. I'm glad it worked so you can see the page though.

siege

Reaction score
Those are some very handsome reels, and the colors are well chosen for a variety of rods. Looking forward to a variety of reviews.
Do you have any major retail distribution yet ?

williamhj

Reaction score
That's strange that it didn't load well because chrome is my primary browser. I have not had anyone else ever tell me they have had issues. I'm glad it worked so you can see the page though.
Yeah who knows, I've given up trying to figure out the different browsers. I have all three because I find one periodically gets funny. When it loaded the page was really jumpy when the pictures scrolled and the drop down menus didn't work. I tried the other browsers to be sure it wasn't my internet connection, but it's probably just some setting buried in my version of chrome. Nice site and nice looking reels!

jimp

Reaction score
definitely some beauty there in those reels. GL with the company.

noreaster

Reaction score
It seems the copper has struck a chord. I think it looks pretty cool too. You may want to keep that color as your trademark color if you haven't already. How seamless are the parts when assembled? Any "rattle play" between the spool and body of the reel?

Last edited:

taylorreels

Reaction score
We are defiantly considering making the copper our "signature color". It has been hugely popular. People will be impressed with the quality of the reels once they get them in their hands. They are smooth, have a nice click, beautiful, and built really fun to fish. We have been doing a ton of work on our website so you may want to check it out again Taylor Reels:: Quality and Affordable Fly Fishing Reels . I added a picture of our green reel. We are also doing a limited run of gold!

shotgunfly

Reaction score
If I might be so bold as to suggest something.

Maybe nail down your logo? Or at least market one of the three marks you have (one on reels, one on logos, one on website) more than the others for a bit. It'll help establish your space in the flooded reel market. Yeah, I know some companies have lots of different marks (some for tshirts, some for water bottles, hats etc) but that's usually after a couple years.

Besides if I got a fly reel I might use it for more than just trout.

That said, I don't see a photo of the other side of the reels. Are the handles plastic or aluminum? Might also be good to see a shot of the spool as well as the drag.

Nice classic color set. When Cheeky reels came out a couple years back they opened with some pretty wild colors IMO, then came the standard silver and copper.

I've owned Ross, Lamson, Sage, Orvis, Hatch, Cheeky and Saracione, but am always open to trying something new. Kind of a gear head too. ;-)