Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Pflueger Medalist ???

Are the older Medalists with the round line guard heavier than their modern counterparts? If so by how much?

Trying to balance a late 40's Pflueger on a late 40's / early 50's Heddon Rod.

Only thing I have to work with is a 1495AK which is a bit too light to balance the rod. At +$75 a pop I really don't want to do the trial-n-error thing.

Any info would be helpful. If you have an old Pflueger Medalist in the 1494 1495 range and can post up it's mass without a line it would be really helpful.

Thanks much.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

2. Likes nick1899 liked this post

Default Re: Pflueger Medalist ???

You are really over-thinking this.
    The imported AK and CJ models aren't like this, but the older models, DA and before, have a space behind the spool latch cover specifically so that you can add BBs or lead shot to acheve the exact weight that you'd like.

Other than that, try adding strips of lead tape to the spool under the backing
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes fredaevans, smilingduck liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

The last one I got (pawn shop special) had a few wraps of lead core trolling line under the backing. I tossed the lead core, as it was of no use to me. I don't know if it's purpose was to balance the reel to a rod sometime ago, or why it was there, but it sure added the weight.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    the older models, DA and before, have a space behind the spool latch cover specifically so that you can add BBs or lead shot to acheve the exact weight that you'd like

Well.......................

I didn't know that Paul I'm not kidding you, you amaze me with this stuff.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes caseywise, smilingduck liked this post

You know I've always wondered about the idea of adding some lead shot inside the reel. TO be honest, I've never felt the need to make a reel heavier, so I never tried it. It would seem strange to have shot rattling around inside the reel, but I don't question the wisdom of the Medalist folks, they designed and made a great reel.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

I have an old 1495 on a 7'1" solid glass rod; a Montgomery Ward Hawthorn-4 6 wt. I had to add 113 pieces of #3 shot to the barrel of the spool to get it balanced out. The whole rig is a little heavy in the hand, but it's balanced and that makes it easier to fish.

Why would I want a 7'1" solid glass rod? Well, it just happens to be the first fly rod that my father bought for me when I was 11 years old. So, it's a keeper and it gets fished.......every year!

Pocono

11. Likes Rip Tide, smilingduck, guest65 liked this post
    Blog Entries

The shot thing sounds like installing a rattle to me, but it is pretty cool that they thought of that. Will be going with the lead tape on the spool. 5 mil x 1/2" x __ is actually really easy to find for golf clubs.

13. Default Re: Pflueger Medalist ???

I just purchased a Pflueger Medalist 1495 AK but it does not say made in USA. The spool latch cover has Pflueger Medalist on two lines straight across with Shakespeare underneath unlike the Arkansas DA models which have the Pflueger Medalist writing curving upward. Although this looks like the older reels made in USA, I'm not sure if this is an early Shakespeare version when they acquired the Pflueger line in the 80's. Does anyone know if this reel was made in the USA? The reel seat part is chromed silver not black, but the bottom of this part has rivets not screws holding it to the two cross members which attach to the reel with screws. Any information would be appreciated.

The AK models were made in Hong Kong, or China proper after 1979
    There's also a CJ that was made in Japan. I think that the CJs are older than the AKs, but I'm not positive.
    They're still perfectly good reels but maybe not as "solid" as the US made.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

15. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast