Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

  1. Default Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    I have been given a Hardy Perfect 3 3/8", its a bumpy model from the late 70's i think.

    I'm looking for a few tips on correctly setting the pawls. Due to the line guard and the lack of lock screw on the spool, I'll be using it RHW.

    Can anyone offer me some advice on how I should set both of the pawls in the reel, i.e.: which one should have the curve surface against the spring.

    Currently i have set it with the upper pawl with the curved surface against the spring and lower pawl is set with the flat surface against the spring.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,239
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    I don't have a Perfect in house at this time and it's been 20 years since I did but........... There are several different check styles in the perfects, a right only reel with 2 pawls simply allows you to increase the pressure by engaging both or decrease by using only one.

    Sorry for being so vague but I don't have one and my experience is both limited & old......

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Down East, EH!
    Posts
    1,023

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by almonde View Post
    I have been given a Hardy Perfect 3 3/8", its a bumpy model from the late 70's i think.

    I'm looking for a few tips on correctly setting the pawls. Due to the line guard and the lack of lock screw on the spool, I'll be using it RHW.

    Can anyone offer me some advice on how I should set both of the pawls in the reel, i.e.: which one should have the curve surface against the spring.

    Currently i have set it with the upper pawl with the curved surface against the spring and lower pawl is set with the flat surface against the spring.
    I did a quick search on Google image for the Perfect and there are several pictures showing the pawl placement. It looks to me that your setting is correct form the images I see. You will probably get input from the more knowledgeable members here shortly. I just purchased a 3 1/8 and should have it in hand in a week, so I will be watching as well.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

  5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  6. Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    I did a bit of a look around google images and found one showing the pawls from the same model that i have. I set the pawls that way and when i tigtened the spring down, found it was the same with the line going out and stiffer to retrieve, so Iset it to the opposite of that and it seems to work well.

    There is actually a bit more resistance than expected when the spring is tightened down.

    Now i just need to find a nice rod to match it with

  7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Down East, EH!
    Posts
    1,023

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Have you checked out the Zenith? With the new Zenith with wood reel seat coming out, the prices are being slashed at flyshopcloseout.com on the older model.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

  9. #6

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Perfects of any generation are way too heavy and low in line capacity to match with any Zenith. These reels are at their best with cane rods.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Down East, EH!
    Posts
    1,023

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Perfects of any generation are way too heavy and low in line capacity to match with any Zenith. These reels are at their best with cane rods.
    Thanks for the thought, I knew that I needed another rod, I just didn't know what. Bamboo sounds like a plan, now all I have to do is figure out how to convince my wife. I have been trying my Perfect out on a couple of my 8 1/2' Sages and the Hardy 3 1/8 feels great to me. I don't need any more than 50 yards of backing where I fish.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

  11. #8

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Perfects of any generation are way too heavy and low in line capacity to match with any Zenith. These reels are at their best with cane rods.
    Think it depends upon individual tastes, I have a 3 1/8 matched with a Far & Fine and am crazy about it.

    Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

    Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

  12. Likes troutnut4 liked this post
  13. #9

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    OK, Dave, two great and seminal products there and I would rather the reel be a bit too heavy than two light. However, from a guy who spent considerable effort this spring to fine tune the balance of his core quiver (see my recent post in Reel Love), where it me, I would have found a CFO III or IV for F&F and a bit bigger rod for the Perfect...but, hey, its not me.

  14. #10

    Default Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    OK, Dave, two great and seminal products there and I would rather the reel be a bit too heavy than two light. However, from a guy who spent considerable effort this spring to fine tune the balance of his core quiver (see my recent post in Reel Love), where it me, I would have found a CFO III or IV for F&F and a bit bigger rod for the Perfect...but, hey, its not me.

    Have both (CFO III & IV), tried them and still the Perfect gave me the "Daddy Likes" warm fuzzy feeling! Strange similarity, during my "pre-children" days of hunting there were several nice Belgium Brownings in the closet, but if I wanted to do some "Dead-eye Dicky" shooting...It was the Ithaca pump 16 gauge every time. A person should learn the technical aspects that apply to their endeavors and yet not be afraid to go with what feels right.

    Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

    Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

  15. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 05:21 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •