70's Hardy Perfect Reel

troutnut4

Reaction score
I just picked up a Hardy Perfect (3 1/8) in mint condition, produced in the 70's. It came with a brand new spool (never used) and a WF5F SA peach colored line.
Beautiful little reel for the money and couldn't resist the buy. I am interested in hearing from anyone offering feedback regarding the pros or cons of Perfects manufactured around this time and compared to the ones of today. I would have preferred a LHW, but as I said I couldn't pass this deal up. I will adapt since it's a Hardy.:D

troutnut4

Reaction score
Around that time, they tried to make a left hand version by adding a lock nut...it did not work.
Thanks for the feedback S&S, much appreciated,
The reel I have doesn't have any markings inside the frame to indicate year etc., and the threaded shaft of the winding plate extends to the outside face of the perforated spool as I see in typical pictures on the web. Haven't seen the model with the lock nut yet. Some day I hope to come across a St. George Jr. or 3" with a LHW, in my price range.:D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Where that threaded shaft finishes at the face of the reel is where thay affixed the unsightly lock nut. It constantly battled the threaded shaft to see if it would hold or the spool unscrew....

The St. George is my favorite. I have never owned one though I had a chance at a ribbed brass foot three screw model and let it slip away. I too reel left handed and I do not know if they ever made the St. George with the agate line guard set for left hand operation. I had a pre-WWII St. John but seem to have lost it (along with the rest of my most prized older reels) in an apartment move fiasco.