Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Reel Recommendation

Having recently purchased a Sage SLT (8'6" 5 wt), does anybody have a reel recommendation that would balance out this great rod!!

2. Default Re: Reel Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by scottiecoach View Post
    Having recently purchased a Sage SLT (8'6" 5 wt), does anybody have a reel recommendation that would balance out this great rod!!
    SC:
    google Teton examine their web site for specs...then check out ebay for competive pricing...I have a LA12 as a back up tarpon reel...they have a range down to a reel weighing 3.5 oz...it's USA machnined bar ...and lightweight

3. Default Re: Reel Recommendation

If price is some what of an issue, I would say a Konic. I have a Lamson Litespeed on mine. Don't forget ROSS

Default Re: Reel Recommendation

Hi scottiecoach,

It would be a big help to give us a price range. There are a bunch of really great reels that would work well on your rod. Please give us a range you would like to stay in and your target fish. Or better yet, tell us price is not a consideration!

Frank

5. Default Re: Reel Recommendation

I would like to stay $300 and under. Better yet, I would like to find a $300 reel for $200!!

6. Default Re: Reel Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by scottiecoach View Post
    I would like to stay $300 and under. Better yet, I would like to find a $300 reel for $200!!

E-BAY LOL Looks like Ross has a sale on a couple of models. I know the Cimerron is at a killer price.

Default Re: Reel Recommendation

Hi scottiecoach,

That is a very good price range.

My first choice would be the Galvan Open Back. The OB-3 runs $270 and the OB-4 is $280. This reel may have the best drag out there for light tippet fishing. The adjustment range is very broad and you won't be in danger of adding too much drag during a fight. That is if you add drag with a fish on. There is a pleasant out-going click but no in-coming click. I like that. I also like their Green color.

Galvan Open Back

Then there is the Lampson Litespeed that is very popular. It is a great reel but I don't like the way an "O" ring holds the spool to the frame. A lot of people don't mind it. These reels have a very tough finish. The 1.5 is $279 and the 2 is $299.

Lamson Litespeed

Next would be the Ross Evolution. This is a very light weight reel and well made. The one thing I dislike about the reel is the out and in click. I don't like any reel with an incoming click. The Evolution 1.5 is $285 and the 2 is $295.

Ross Evolution

Any of these reels would be a good match up to your rod and they are all American made from Bar Stock. I think the $300 range is a sweet spot for good reels.

Frank

8. Default Re: Reel Recommendation

I want to add Vosseler DC to the list. Around $199. and it is an awesome reel.