2wt Reel Suggestions.

shimloom

Reaction score
I just acquired a Scott "G" series 8'8" 2wt 2pc rod and it came with a Galvan Torque T-3 reel. The reel feels heavy for this rod. I was wondering if any of you might suggest a reel for this rod.

Craig

williamhj

Reaction score
I have a Battenkill Barstock on my 2wt and it works well and looks great. If I was to do it again I'd look at the Allen as well, though the weight isn't that different than the Galvan you have. In addition to the other suggestions I'd look at the LL Bean Pocket Water, which is a touch lighter.

Hard to know how much the little weight differences will matter.

plecain

Reaction score
Able TR1 or a Brookie would be the way to go.
I have both the TR-1 and the TR Light. I think the TR-1 is a little heavy on 2 wt rods. The TR Light is better, for me at least.

Another click-pawl reel is Bass Pro's Classic UltraLight. It's pretty light at 2.4 oz. - $100.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
Just saw that Leland Upgrade has an Abel TR Light right now. That's a sweet reel with a cool old-timey look. Wish I had a rod for it.

barham

Reaction score
A friend of mine built and gave me a 6.5 ' 2wt IM6 fly rod recently. All my reels were too heavy for the little thing. I went online and purchased a graphite reel labeled J. Ausitn Forbes (made in Japan) that weighs only 2.8 ounces with line and backing. It was not expensive (less than $75.00), and it is a pretty neat reel and is adequate for anything I catch with a 2wt rod.
barham

shimloom

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great advice. As always this group came out to help a fellow angler. I like the Hardy Featherweight and might go that direction. Might have a deal in the making for one.

Craig

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
My first question would be do you want a classic or modern looking reel? Some folks, myself included, don't care for a large arbor modern reel on a traditional looking rod such as your scott. If you want traditional the hardy LRH reels are incredible click/check reels and yet are light enough to balance that rod and maintain the traditional setup. If I had to go more modern it would be a lamson ULA purist reel, also a reel that you palm to create drag. maybe a sage click I or II.