Reel for Salmon Fishing

M

mridenour

I am looking to buy a reel for fishing on a 9-10 foot 9wt rod. I am not going to be able to spend a lot because I am broke and the trip is coming up in about a month. So, I am looking for something that I could use on this trip and maybe keep around as a back-up for future trips. I was looking hard at getting a Kraken from Allen but I missed out on the big sales and now they are just not even available at all.

I really like the drag on my Guru so I am considering the Konic II. Any other suggestions with similar quality drag and price point?

king joe

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a reel for fishing on a 9-10 foot 9wt rod. I am not going to be able to spend a lot because I am broke and the trip is coming up in about a month. So, I am looking for something that I could use on this trip and maybe keep around as a back-up for future trips. I was looking hard at getting a Kraken from Allen but I missed out on the big sales and now they are just not even available at all.

I really like the drag on my Guru so I am considering the Konic II. Any other suggestions with similar quality drag and price point?
Whoa....you said you didn't want to spend a lot...then talk about the Kraken...and Konic II. :eek: Yikes, both are expensive.

Read the post here about the Ebay Chinese reels. I'm just sayin'. The report there seems pretty favourable....and cheap.

King Joe Outa Here!

M

mridenour

Whoa....you said you didn't want to spend a lot...then talk about the Kraken...and Konic II. :eek: Yikes, both are expensive.

Read the post here about the Ebay Chinese reels. I'm just sayin'. The report there seems pretty favourable....and cheap.

King Joe Outa Here!
I don't want to go cheap. I don't want to lose a 25 pound King because I didn't get a quality drag system. I just can't go $200 plus at this time. I could have gotten the Kraken for $100 if I hadn't been snoozing. I can get a heck of a deal on a Konic II, less than most would have to pay.

wannafish

Reaction score
I don't want to go cheap. I don't want to lose a 25 pound King because I didn't get a quality drag system. I just can't go $200 plus at this time. I could have gotten the Kraken for $100 if I hadn't been snoozing. I can get a heck of a deal on a Konic II, less than most would have to pay.
I know people who use the Konic as their main reel; I don't think you could do much better than that for a quick buy.

M

mridenour

I know people who use the Konic as their main reel; I don't think you could do much better than that for a quick buy.
Yeah, it has the same drag as my Guru which has performed awesome for me. I just was wondering if anyone has a better idea.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've caught many kings using an Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disc on a 9' 9 weight rod. It was not the perfect big game reel but it did the job from the late 80's until 2005. These are good quality reels and sell on auction usually under 100. they are by no means a heavy drag reel but will work with some help from your free hand palming the rim. If I were buying another I would get a 9/10 size not the smaller 8/9.

Since 2005 I have been using a mix of reels for salmon. I picked up 2 Orvis Odyssey reels, a #3 and a #IV, they are both great reels for big game. The original Vortex reel that Orvis sold are also very good salmon reels. Some of these hold their value very well because they were made in America but sometimes you can pick one up under 200. I realize that 200 is not cheap but the reels are of good quality.

A good drag is very smart when fishing for king salmon but they can be reeled in using less than state of the art drags. The fish below is not a king but a good size silver caught using a 7'9" Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight with an Orvis CFO IV reel with a click and pawl drag.

Not a king by any stretch of the imagination but I post the photo to say that if you can handle a fish like that on a CFO then you will land some kings on whatever you use.

2 things I will advise you on are; be sure to buy a big reel so you can have at least 150 yards of backing on it. And.......... make the backing heavy, heavier than the leader by at least 10 pounds and be sure you have a solid connection between that back line and the fly line.

I'll send that link now,

Ard

I'll PM you a link to a reel that works great for salmon. If you bought it there would be no need to upgrade in the future.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Based on your location, I'm making an assumption that you're going to fish the Great Lakes tribs. Depending on which one, you may fish where there is plenty of timber and the rivers are on the "smaller" side. You will need a drag that can stop them and turn them and dig them out of the ****. The Lamson will get the job done. You can't beat these for the close out price :

CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

M

mridenour

I've caught many kings using an Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disc on a 9' 9 weight rod. It was not the perfect big game reel but it did the job from the late 80's until 2005. These are good quality reels and sell on auction usually under 100. they are by no means a heavy drag reel but will work with some help from your free hand palming the rim. If I were buying another I would get a 9/10 size not the smaller 8/9.

Since 2005 I have been using a mix of reels for salmon. I picked up 2 Orvis Odyssey reels, a #3 and a #IV, they are both great reels for big game. The original Vortex reel that Orvis sold are also very good salmon reels. Some of these hold their value very well because they were made in America but sometimes you can pick one up under 200. I realize that 200 is not cheap but the reels are of good quality.

A good drag is very smart when fishing for king salmon but they can be reeled in using less than state of the art drags. The fish below is not a king but a good size silver caught using a 7'9" Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight with an Orvis CFO IV reel with a click and pawl drag.

Not a king by any stretch of the imagination but I post the photo to say that if you can handle a fish like that on a CFO then you will land some kings on whatever you use.

2 things I will advise you on are; be sure to buy a big reel so you can have at least 150 yards of backing on it. And.......... make the backing heavy, heavier than the leader by at least 10 pounds and be sure you have a solid connection between that back line and the fly line.

I'll send that link now,

Ard

I'll PM you a link to a reel that works great for salmon. If you bought it there would be no need to upgrade in the future.
Thanks! I sent you a long-winded PM (cause that's how I roll!).

jaybo41

Reaction score
Based on your location, I'm making an assumption that you're going to fish the Great Lakes tribs. Depending on which one, you may fish where there is plenty of timber and the rivers are on the "smaller" side. You will need a drag that can stop them and turn them and dig them out of the ****. The Lamson will get the job done. You can't beat these for the close out price :

+1 on closeout Velocity. As I was reading this, the Velocity was the first reel with a modern drag system that came to mind. Great minds think alike, you beat me to it.

M

mridenour

Yeah we are heading up to Michigan. Going to fish a couple rivers there.

duker

Reaction score
You may wish to consider a Ross CLA, probably a size 5 for your 9 weight. Disc drag, palming rim, American made, bombproof.

Scott

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Given your price range I would go with one reel. The orvis access V reel @ $185. This is a fully machined, 6061 bar-stock reel with 100% sealed drag. It's not easy finding a reel with these specifications for under $200. I have multiple access reels and they are simply amazing for the money. They come in titanium, black and gold colors. If I were you I would get the access V mid-arbor, its 6oz. and 4" in diameter, the largest size in the access product line rated for 9-11 weight. You may even be able to go a size down, the access IV for 7-9 weight $175, 3.5in in diameter weighing 5oz. Thats my recommendation for under $200.

M

mridenour

I've been loaned a fly reel to try by a certain customer-service oriented reel manufacturer. I should be able to make a good decision on a reel and not be so limited by price when I make my purchase later on.

Thanks for all the input and great advice!!!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I thought that I replied. Oooopps!

If you choose a Lamson, the Konic II in the size 4 has the smaller drag assembly. Guru and higher end size 4 models have the larger drag assemblies. The larger unit gives a wider drag range.

Dennis

20lb_steelie

Reaction score

King Joe Outa Here!
For a salmon reel, IMHO the Konics are the best buy. Don't want to go too cheap and risk losing a fish of a lifetime...

coastrider

Reaction score
Cla are all you need, no lubing and they take a beating. Ive got a cla 2 & 7, both used in salt water only and never an issue.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 4

fr8dog

Reaction score
If you've looked at the Allen's, don't rule out the Alpha III 3. I've stopped bones up to 12# with it in Hawaii. Drag starts up instantly and is very smooth. With an 8 or 9 line it holds a ton of backing. I wouldn't hesitate to take it for salmon. A good reel at a good price.

M

mridenour

If you've looked at the Allen's, don't rule out the Alpha III 3. I've stopped bones up to 12# with it in Hawaii. Drag starts up instantly and is very smooth. With an 8 or 9 line it holds a ton of backing. I wouldn't hesitate to take it for salmon. A good reel at a good price.
I'm going to be using a prototype reel from Allen that Justin loaned me. I will probably be going with an Allen when I buy one. Justin has pretty much convinced me with this reel and his personal interest in my success that Allen is the company to go with in this instance.

burk48237

Reaction score
You can land big GL Salmon with a click and pawl reel, this fish came on a 1980's Hardy Bougle IV this august. Having said that in your price range I'd recommend a Lamson Guru.