$1 Fly Reel for the Launch of the Taylor Reels Array

taylorreels

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Next week is the big launch of our new reel, The Array! To build excitement we are going to offering some amazing specials for the first 30 days after the launch. Our first three customers will even get a reel for $1!!! After that we have even more great specials on all the Array reels.

The reel will be offered in three sizes 3-4wt, 5-6wt, and 7-8wt. They feature a fully sealed drag system and a hard anodized finish. For more details visit this link. Taylor Fly Fishing Reels : The Array by Matthew Bork Taylor — Kickstarter

The Launch will take place at 7:00am Mountain time next Friday the 20th via kickstarted.com

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Biggie,

With them being a start-up and business member here...I am sure we will get some responses in regards to quality.

It is my understanding they are using a reputable manufacturer.

Currently doing some consulting work for another FF start-up. Mostly PR, finance and some tweeking of the business model.

I applaud them for there effort and passion. I will most likely give them a shot based off the previous sentence.

Wish them the best!!!!

Jim

Last edited:

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Biggie,

With them being a start-up and business member here...I am sure we will get some responses in regards to quality.

It is my understanding they are using a reputable manufacturer.

Currently doing some consulting work for another FF start-up. Mostly PR, finance and some tweeking of the business model.

I applaud them for there effort and passion. I will most likely give them a shot based off the previous sentence.

Wish them the best!!!!

Jim
Understood. Please let us know when you do!

lacanadio

Reaction score
I have their first reel, weight 3-4. It is a quality product, very smooth. Drag works well (although the fish I've gone after aren't exercising it). +1 from here.
I'm still waiting for a spare spool to be available, though.

Bob

Reactions: Ard

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I am intirgued. I really like how the silver and grey ones turned out. Kinda bummed you didnt do a bright gold like some of your other posts had in it. I would buy that instantly.

taylorreels

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

When we set out to start our new reel company one thing we knew was a must was to create a quality product. We didn't want to be just another small reel company that is doing the same thing as all the other small companies. We wanted to create the best to compete with the best.

Some of our core values are....

1. Quality
2. Affordability
3. Customer service
4. Product honesty and integrity

Our manufacturers are some of the best in the business. Our reels are machined in the same shops as some world famous brands that sell for several hundred dollars. We are using patent pending technology in our drag systems and have spent months in the design phase for function and beauty. I think it shows when you look at the reels and it defiantly shows when you fish them. We are not cutting corners and doing things the easy way. We are spending extra time and money to make sure that every product is world class.

With the prices that we are offering give us a try and see for yourselves that Taylor Reels is the real deal, and here to stay.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Two quick questions for you

1. What material is the drag?
2. What type of anodizing are you using?

Im really thinking about picking up one of the larger sized reels in the silver or gunmetal

furnacefella

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

When we set out to start our new reel company one thing we knew was a must was to create a quality product. We didn't want to be just another small reel company that is doing the same thing as all the other small companies. We wanted to create the best to compete with the best.

Some of our core values are....

1. Quality
2. Affordability
3. Customer service
4. Product honesty and integrity

Our manufacturers are some of the best in the business. Our reels are machined in the same shops as some world famous brands that sell for several hundred dollars. We are using patent pending technology in our drag systems and have spent months in the design phase for function and beauty. I think it shows when you look at the reels and it defiantly shows when you fish them. We are not cutting corners and doing things the easy way. We are spending extra time and money to make sure that every product is world class.

With the prices that we are offering give us a try and see for yourselves that Taylor Reels is the real deal, and here to stay.
I think you guys have a good looking product and I wish you well. I am infact looking for a reel very much like the grey one you offer for my Z-Axis. The problem is that I have a very nice looking reel on the rod that I paid $300 for that has rough bearings, a faulty drag and can free spool from time to time.

I apologize in advance if this is out of line, but saying your reels are made in Korea and/or China after being asked several times is not cutting it with me.

It is like offering a quality O/U Shotgun that may be made in Italy or Russia. Nothing wrong with either country's product but I would sure like to know if I am getting a Beretta or a Baikal before spending any cash.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Two quick questions for you

1. What material is the drag?
2. What type of anodizing are you using?

Im really thinking about picking up one of the larger sized reels in the silver or gunmetal
Can't speak to #2 but this is from their web site:

"carbon disk drag

Our carbon cloth disk drag system was designed for maximum stopping power. The drag has a click as line is pulled and a silent retrieve. You can trust our reels to stop large fish and protect light tippets."

taylorreels

Reaction score
The anodizing is type 3 and the drag is carbon fiber. We experimented with cork and Teflon but in the end we decided the strength, durability, and heat dispersion of carbon fiber was the best choice.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

This reel actually has a two way click and the drag is a different type of carbon. That statement on our website was about our other reel THE ONE.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

As a reply to furnacefella,

I think you have every right to question our quality being a relatively new company. This specific reel will be manufactured in china. Some people can be put off by that, but we have set in place great quality control. Every reel is hand inspected and the sealing on the drag is checked on every single reel. The reels are milled in a German CNC machine to assure quality and precise machining. It's funny how no one questions where their iPhone is made but we question other products.

We could make these reels in The USA (and actually we are working on a U.S. made reel now) but there is no way that we could offer a low price. A U.S. made reel would cost hundreds. We support American made and eventually want to introduce great products that are made in our home state of New Mexico.

We have two reel projects in the works right now that will be made in South Korea.

All we can ask is to give us a try and see for yourselves. We have a great warranty to help assure people that we stand behind our products.

furnacefella

Reaction score
As a reply to furnacefella,

I think you have every right to question our quality being a relatively new company. This specific reel will be manufactured in china. Some people can be put off by that, but we have set in place great quality control. Every reel is hand inspected and the sealing on the drag is checked on every single reel. The reels are milled in a German CNC machine to assure quality and precise machining. It's funny how no one questions where their iPhone is made but we question other products.

We could make these reels in The USA (and actually we are working on a U.S. made reel now) but there is no way that we could offer a low price. A U.S. made reel would cost hundreds. We support American made and eventually want to introduce great products that are made in our home state of New Mexico.

We have two reel projects in the works right now that will be made in South Korea.

All we can ask is to give us a try and see for yourselves. We have a great warranty to help assure people that we stand behind our products.
Thank you so much for your honest reply. Although we will not be doing business anytime soon you have left the door open for the future and other product lines.

I apologize for bringing this to a head as I see you have recieved a couple of negative comments on the other thread. Please don't get discouraged as I truly do wish you well and hope you realize the dream and make millions.

I am an older guy and by good fortune or Grace I have found myself in a position to make choices I couldn't in the past. These choices go beyond price vs quality.

I am in the Heating and Air Conditioning business and I proudly market Trane products you are no doubt familiar with from your neighboring state of Texas. I have spent time in Tyler touring the plant and I felt very at home there. From the folks cleaning the floors to upper mangement the place reeked of pride and integrity. I know there are parts made both south and east for their products but the company remains all American in my eyes and it makes me feel good to deal with them.

All this coming from a Canadian may sound nutty but when you get to be an old guy like myself you will understand that feeling good about one's self trumps any accumulation of riches one might be so lucky to stumble upon.

And yes I have and have had many products from overseas and I encourage all new comers to the sport to find value priced products so they can get out there and enjoy. As I can afford it, I am giving away or selling off my cheaper stuff for higher priced products from the USA, Canada and other countries that share the same values we all take for granted. I am not always getting a better product and I am most often paying a higher price but I always feel good about my purchases and enjoy the pride of ownership.

This is not a market thing, it is a me thing. I think you are positioning yourself well in the market place where most of the money is spent and again I wish you well.

"Serve the masses; live with classes.
Serve to the classes; live with the masses."

Or as my former business partner puts it,
"Thoses that cater only to the wealthy are butlers not business men"

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I think way too many people get their nose stuck up in the air about the whole overseas production phenomenon when its such a small issue in our world today. We've been taught to be lazy and introduced with systems that continually provide a down fall in our work ethic.
Converting that to Taylor Reels, they are a small business just starting out and they're quality control must be top notch or they will fail quickly. When you look at..say, Bass Pro Shops, they're having ka-jillions of reels produced with a very low rate of actual consistant quality because of the large demand.
I'll also convert that to my remodeling business. I'm 34 years old and imo, I'm basically in the last generation that can handle and accept a hard day of work and be accomplished at the end. I simply cannot find anyone younger than me that has a clue. Our younger generation is lazy, always sick, always partying, always on their smart phone, always calling off work, always crying about a splinter, have no clue how to respect someone and the list goes on... My main guy, who is a helper and pretty much my do-all main guy is 63 years old and grew up on a farm. Need I say more? I will anyway... he's old, slow, takes his lunch and his smoke breaks. Sometimes he struggles to keep up with me but he does. I've never worked around someone that works as hard as this individual and his ethic just shames our youth.

I'm sure Taylor will be just fine provided they violently set their quality standard with the the manufacturer and not slack in any area.

taylorreels

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind words,

We realize that overseas manufacturing isn't for everyone. Spending $300-$700 on a reel isn't for everyone either. We made a choice to produce quality reels that are affordable, and their was no way could do that in the USA at this time.

We have actually been building this business for a couple years, but have been unwilling to launch before we found the right manufactures and business model.

We are excited and know these reels will be a huge success. We can't wait to hear what you all have to say once you get your hands on them!

Matthew Taylor

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Before folks get too worked up over the quality of South Korean produced rods or reels they should try the Hardy Uniqua reel that I have. Try as I may there would be nothing bad I could say about the reel and its performance. My Marksman 2 T Spey rod was produced in S. Korea also, I've been casting some pretty nice loops with that since May and likewise have nothing negative to say on either product.

I hope your reels sell well for you and that you will continue to support the fly fishing forum here also.

Ard

furnacefella

Reaction score
Before folks get too worked up over the quality of South Korean produced rods or reels they should try the Hardy Uniqua reel that I have. Try as I may there would be nothing bad I could say about the reel and its performance. My Marksman 2 T Spey rod was produced in S. Korea also, I've been casting some pretty nice loops with that since May and likewise have nothing negative to say on either product.

I hope your reels sell well for you and that you will continue to support the fly fishing forum here also.

Ard
I agree 100%. My son and his buddy have Korean made Loop Opti Stream reels and they are the nicest reels I have ever handled.

I personally have 3 Korean Hardy Ultralites; 3000 DD, 4000 DD and the 5000 CLS and absolutely love them. I don't think there is another reel within $200 that even comes close to the quality. My Hardy Zenith is very nice as well.

I have been shooting Japanese made SKB shotguns for over 40 years and using Japanese Baush and Lomb glass on rifles for just as long.

My made in Finland Sako is my favorite rifle and it is topped with my favorite scope, an Austrian Swarovski.

It's Ruffed Grouse season here in Alberta and my Italian FAIR is my go to grouse gun.

As an added bonus none of these countrys treat their citizens as subhuman nor have they aligned themselves with a murderous regime that has recently killed over a hundred thousand men, women and children. :)

scott_g

Reaction score
Do you plan on having your products available at any retail stores or just an online source? As with most hobbies the economy is putting a squeeze on the higher end cost wise products which in turn is putting more and more store fronts out of business. Good quality products at an affordable cost to most might help keep a few doors open.

taylorreels

Reaction score
We are working right now in expanding into more retail stores. We have a strong desire to support fly shops and small retailers.

We officially start taking orders this Friday at 7:00am MST via kickstarter.com for the Array. We will post a link as soon as it is available.