Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: New Orvis CFO

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks & Great Lakes Tribs
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    What would be really nice is if Orvis made a CFO V or VI that is 4" to 4"1/4 in diameter, and a 1"1/2 or 1"3/4 wide spool for spey rods. Make it a click check and people would go bonkers in the two handed world. Us spey guys like a wide standard arbor clicker for our 13" rods, sometimes you need 10-12 oz. to balance that monster.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Fly Guy,

    That's the one! Except it looked way better in person. There were a few differences between what I saw and the photos, but it's pretty close. That's a much better price than the UK model they've been selling.

    -VB
    ....Just one more cast...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Presque Isle, Maine
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    That's a much better price than the UK model they've been selling
    I thought an Abel made Orvis would be at least as much as the UK model, that's not to bad. Thanks for posting fly_guy.
    Tim

  4. #14

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Just don't believe for a minuet that a 3+ oz. CFO III is good for 5 through 7-weight lines. No it is not, 4-weight if it is a short, light rod but I use a CFO IV for #4 and 5 rods for some capacity as well as balance.

  5. Likes shotgunfly liked this post
  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Quote Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
    What would be really nice is if Orvis made a CFO V or VI that is 4" to 4"1/4 in diameter, and a 1"1/2 or 1"3/4 wide spool for spey rods. Make it a click check and people would go bonkers in the two handed world. Us spey guys like a wide standard arbor clicker for our 13" rods, sometimes you need 10-12 oz. to balance that monster.
    I second this motion!

    You can find CFO VI on the auction market however if the reel would be mint, the price will go out of line. I don't mind some signs of use on a reel but even those with wear sometimes go to 400 or over depending on how desperately someone wants the reel.

    A new CFO V or VI would be way cool!

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  7. #16

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Just don't believe for a minuet that a 3+ oz. CFO III is good for 5 through 7-weight lines. No it is not, 4-weight if it is a short, light rod but I use a CFO IV for #4 and 5 rods for some capacity as well as balance.
    Agreed.

    I use my Hardy made CFO III for my 3 weight Sage LL 389. It's too light for even my 486-4 ZXL

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    southwest , Virginia
    Posts
    2,034

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    I guess this is not a big issue, but I did notice Phillips head screws,,,,would'a just preferred slotted screws myself for aesthetics . But American made is good. Will be watching these.

    Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Here's a video I found about the new Abel-made Orvis CFO:

    Video: Orvisís New Made in the USA CFO Reel | MidCurrent


    Cheers,

    -VB
    ....Just one more cast...

  10. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
  11. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Tons of hype around this reel since it's made in the USA and even more so by Abel. My question is why pay a premium for this reel when you can just buy one of Abel's click & pawl reels cheaper?

  12. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
  13. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: New Orvis CFO

    Quote Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
    Tons of hype around this reel since it's made in the USA and even more so by Abel. My question is why pay a premium for this reel when you can just buy one of Abel's click & pawl reels cheaper?
    That's a good point. However, it should be noted that the price of the Abel CFO is half of what Orvis is charging for the current British-made version.

    Also, the Abel Classic costs quite a bit more than the new CFO or the Trout or Creek reels offered by Abel, assuming that they all should be priced similarly, since they are all click & pawl reels.

    I don't think the price point on the CFO is unreasonable.
    ....Just one more cast...

  14. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •