New Orvis CFO

von behr

Reaction score
I know Orvis has been selling a new version of the CFO that is once again made in England.

However, I stopped in at the Abel shop recently, and they are producing a limited edition of the CFO for Orvis that is entirely produced by Abel here in California.

I don't know when it will be available, but it looks great. I didn't ask about taking any pictures of it, so I don't have an image to go with the post.

My understanding is Orvis is taking pre-orders, but I couldn't find anything on their website about it. Keep your eyes open, it should be coming soon.

-VB

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been wanting a CFO II for a long while. Every time one appears on auction in mint shape they go way too high for me. If I have to pay 300 or more I would prefer a new one so I'll wait to see what they offer also.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Abel may have made the first production run, but I wonder if those will be made by Abel or Ross (which Orvis recently bought) in the future. The old DXR reels were made by both Abel and Lamson at different times.

Looks like they brought back the original CFO design with the riveted spring posts but omitted the nickel-silver line guard. Too bad; it was an elegant touch. I would like to see them bring back the CFO IV as well for 6 wt lines. I think the III is a little tight even for 5 wt lines. Maybe in a year or two.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Nice looking reel - and thanks for posting that link. I prefer that nickel link guard as well as the older riveted style. That said, it's a heck of a nice looking reel at a decent price point for a made in the USA clicker. Kudos for Orvis listening to their consumer and bringing them back.

Cheers,
Mike.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
What would be really nice is if Orvis made a CFO V or VI that is 4" to 4"1/4 in diameter, and a 1"1/2 or 1"3/4 wide spool for spey rods. Make it a click check and people would go bonkers in the two handed world. Us spey guys like a wide standard arbor clicker for our 13" rods, sometimes you need 10-12 oz. to balance that monster.

von behr

Reaction score
Fly Guy,

That's the one! Except it looked way better in person. There were a few differences between what I saw and the photos, but it's pretty close. That's a much better price than the UK model they've been selling.

-VB

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Just don't believe for a minuet that a 3+ oz. CFO III is good for 5 through 7-weight lines. No it is not, 4-weight if it is a short, light rod but I use a CFO IV for #4 and 5 rods for some capacity as well as balance.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What would be really nice is if Orvis made a CFO V or VI that is 4" to 4"1/4 in diameter, and a 1"1/2 or 1"3/4 wide spool for spey rods. Make it a click check and people would go bonkers in the two handed world. Us spey guys like a wide standard arbor clicker for our 13" rods, sometimes you need 10-12 oz. to balance that monster.
I second this motion!

You can find CFO VI on the auction market however if the reel would be mint, the price will go out of line. I don't mind some signs of use on a reel but even those with wear sometimes go to 400 or over depending on how desperately someone wants the reel.

A new CFO V or VI would be way cool!

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Just don't believe for a minuet that a 3+ oz. CFO III is good for 5 through 7-weight lines. No it is not, 4-weight if it is a short, light rod but I use a CFO IV for #4 and 5 rods for some capacity as well as balance.
Agreed.

I use my Hardy made CFO III for my 3 weight Sage LL 389. It's too light for even my 486-4 ZXL

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I guess this is not a big issue, but I did notice Phillips head screws,,,,would'a just preferred slotted screws myself for aesthetics . But American made is good. Will be watching these.

Mike

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Tons of hype around this reel since it's made in the USA and even more so by Abel. My question is why pay a premium for this reel when you can just buy one of Abel's click & pawl reels cheaper?

von behr

Reaction score
Tons of hype around this reel since it's made in the USA and even more so by Abel. My question is why pay a premium for this reel when you can just buy one of Abel's click & pawl reels cheaper?
That's a good point. However, it should be noted that the price of the Abel CFO is half of what Orvis is charging for the current British-made version.

Also, the Abel Classic costs quite a bit more than the new CFO or the Trout or Creek reels offered by Abel, assuming that they all should be priced similarly, since they are all click & pawl reels.

I don't think the price point on the CFO is unreasonable.