Thoughts on Ross Evolution LT vs CLA

crockerag

Reaction score
Looking to add a 6wt setup to the collection for carp, bass and light saltwater. Was looking to get either the Ross Evolution LT #3 or the CLA #2 or #3. The Evolution has a smaller drag system than the CLA but I do not know if that is a bad thing. Weight savings are not super important. The Evolution is certainly the "sexier" reel but it cost $100 more dollars. Will pair the reel with either a TFO Mangrove 6wt, TFO BVK 6wt, TFO MiniMag 200-300gr or Sage Approach 6wt (still need to test cast)

Right now it is all a wash to me. Any input, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Looking to add a 6wt setup to the collection for carp, bass and light saltwater. Was looking to get either the Ross Evolution LT #3 or the CLA #2 or #3. The Evolution has a smaller drag system than the CLA but I do not know if that is a bad thing. Weight savings are not super important. The Evolution is certainly the "sexier" reel but it cost $100 more dollars. Will pair the reel with either a TFO Mangrove 6wt, TFO BVK 6wt, TFO MiniMag 200-300gr or Sage Approach 6wt (still need to test cast)

Right now it is all a wash to me. Any input, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Back in the day when I used to work in the industry I thought about bringing in Ross CLAs as demo reels. They are built very solidly and have reliable drags. Also costs are very attractive. The #3 reel is just light enough to balance well with most single handed 6 weigh rods.

Dennis

duker

Reaction score
I have a Ross Rhythm 3.5, which is basically a beefed-up Evolution with the same drag. I've used it for coho, chum and steelhead no problem. I've never had any trouble with the reel. If I were looking for a 5-6 weight reel with disc drag I'd definitely consider an Evolution based on my experience with the Rhythm.

I also have a CLA 6 on one of my double-handed rods--bought both of them a year ago. I've only caught one fish with it so can't tell you much in terms of performance but it's a well-made reel and I expect it will perform.

I like Ross reels generally--I've got four of them (two Momentums in addition to the Rhythm and CLA) and they're all good. Machined anodized aluminum, palming rims, American made, maintenance free, lifetime warranty--there's a lot to like.

Scott

von behr

Reaction score
The main difference between the two will be more machining and fewer plastic parts on the LT. That's essentially the difference in price you would be paying.

Otherwise, Ross makes a very fine reel and either would be a great choice.

-VB

crockerag

Reaction score
Will the drag on the CLA be more well suited for carp and bass than the drag on the Evolution?

It seems like the Evolution is a great trout reel but the drag is physically smaller than the CLA. Not sure if this tilts the game in CLA's favor...

Practical side says just get the CLA but the impulsive side says get the Evo LT:doh:

mysticm

Reaction score
I own and fish the following: Evo LT 1.5, CLA 1.5, CLA 4, Ross Rhythm 3. All have more than adequate drag to handle anything that I have fished for (including Steelhead). Finish is impeccable on all the reels & backing capacity is dead on accurate. Only difference I noticed was in the weights and appearances. I believe the drag designs may be slightly different but to a user that is not apparent.

I suggest getting a CLA or an older Rhythm, save some bucks and use them towards other tackle.

pete a

Reaction score
I have CLA in 3, 4, 6 and Evo (original) 3 & 3.5. Evo LT in 4

I love Ross reels as my sons & I wade fish in messy but redfish filled marshes. Reels get dunked every trip. Both reels stand up to this well. IMHO plastic is great where corrosion is an issue.

I like the larger drag on the CLA but can't say the EVO's will be a let down.

Here's some action pics of my sons with both reels.

Pete A.

crockerag

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input. That Evo LT is sweet but I think I will save a few pennies and go with the CLA. Trying to figure out if I should get the CLA 2 or CLA3. Definitely do not need 175 yds of backing on the CLA3 but not sure if the physical size of the CLA 2 is too small...I am Mr. Indecisive.

coastrider

Reaction score
I use a cla2 on my 9' 4wt and it balances perfectly so id jump up to the 3.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 4

dean_mt

Reaction score
The CLA is probably the best and most affordable reel machined and made in the US. I had a #2 for a brief period ... I bought it used (from a forum member actually) to match my 5wt XP I had built. Generally I put function on top, but this reel that is called Grey Mist is quite purple in color. I just couldn't have a purple reel on my new green Sage XP.
But it was nice reel. Just don't get the "grey mist" ... unless you want a purple reel.

I got lucky and stumbled onto a sale at the sportsman's box store that had an Evolution LT in dark green for like $175 or something. So I had no choice but to buy it ... I would have been losing money if I didn't!! I sold the CLA on ebay for $100 or so and felt good about the deal (though I ended up paying close to full price on the Evo after buying and selling the CLA).

von behr

Reaction score
Dean,

I have the LT 0 in gray mist, and it is a true gray. But I know what you mean about the color. I have a Ross Rhythm in gray, and when I bought a spare spool for it a few years ago, the spare looks purple instead of gray. It does not match the reel frame at all when I switch lines. I know exactly which one is the spare and which one is the original.

It looks like their anodizing is a bit inconsistent over there.

-VB