Pairing for Scott Radian 5wt

trout champ

Reaction score
Just got the new Scott Radian. Just curious what reels you guys are using and how they are balancing out?

Thanks
Randy

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Randy, You are among the first to get one so you may have to lead the way. I suggest trying several loaded reels from your own or your friends shop collection, even if they have the wrong line on them, to get a sense of balance. The one that is just right will set the (empty) weight standard, say 4.8 oz. (hypothetically, but it will be in that ball park) then you can search reels you like for one of that weight with the capacity and performance you want. I would think Nautilus and Galvan would be candidates but Ross Reels are built in the same town as the Radian so they need to be considered as well. What are your reel preferences?

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Like sweetnsalt said, Looks like your gunna be trailblazing buddy. I tend to agree with a slightly heavier reel than most recommend, getting up over 4 oz. is certainly what I'd do. If I was trying to be cost savy I would think about wither the orvis mid-arbor access III reel at 4.6 oz and 3"1/4 diameter spool, or the access IV at 5.3 oz. and 3"1/2 diameter, the black would match nicely with the radian harware. If I were to step it up I may go with hardy widespool perfect, its a dark metallic almost black color that I think would match well and can get one with sufficient weight to balance. When the rod is as nice as the radian pairing it with a nice classic reel is a beautiful thing. The abel trout series is very nice standard arbor black reel with wooden handle, the 5-6 weight model is 4.3 oz. and a spool dia of 3"1/4. I think a hardy cascapedia would look sweet, its 8 oz. however. Islander LX series reels are a fantastic choice if you want the mid-arbor design, worth a look. I would also consider a few models from the bauer line of reels, seems like people either love or hate bauer, I certainly love them, take a look. Those would be my suggestions for now, obviously there are other great choices out there, good luck.

fireroad

Reaction score
Normally I would recommend the Ross Evolution LT as its pretty hard to beat in terms of looks. weight and cost. That being said, the Radian is a pretty class rod and it deserves a classy reel. My choice would be the Abel Super series. I would lean towards the 4N over the 5N as the Radian is also pretty light and I would want to keep the weight under 4.5 oz to better balance the rod. An Able Creek would be pretty sharp to if you like click-pawl drag....

kuch

Reaction score
On my new Radians, I have found the following rod/ reel combos to be a perfect match in terms of balance and feel when fishing.

Radian 9'-0/ 4 line - Abel 4N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 5 line - Abel 5N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 6line w/ FB - Hatch 5 plus (Large Arbor) The Abel 6N balances well but in my opinion, I like the Hatch 5 better for a 6wt reel.

fireroad

Reaction score
On my new Radians, I have found the following rod/ reel combos to be a perfect match in terms of balance and feel when fishing.

Radian 9'-0/ 4 line - Abel 4N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 5 line - Abel 5N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 6line w/ FB - Hatch 5 plus (Large Arbor) The Abel 6N balances well but in my opinion, I like the Hatch 5 better for a 6wt reel.
New Radians? Plural :eek:? You must work for Scott or a shop that carries Scott:thumbsup:

When you have a chance please write up a review of this fine rods!

biggie_robs

Reaction score
New Radians? Plural :eek:? You must work for Scott or a shop that carries Scott:thumbsup:

I'll second the latter sentiment. No matter how many Radians you have experience with, please let us know about it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A properly balanced Hatch, perhaps a black 4+, is a suggestion I can second and, if we are heading up-scale and continuing with the made in Montrose theme, how about a Ross F1 in black to match Radian's hardware.

kuch

Reaction score

Neither. I spent my hard earned dollars on 3 new Radians. Without an intensive review, the limited material that is our there is pretty accurate about the Radian. I think the 5 and 6 weights are simply the best fast action rods in those line weights that I have ever fished. Simply amazing. The 4 wt is tough for me because I tend to fish a lot of different situations with a 4weight. I still like my G2 8'-8 4 weight for most of the smaller stream fishing that is inside of 30 feet. The 4 line Radian is great for bigger water, heavier flies, wind, etc.. Overall superior rods.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Neither. I spent my hard earned dollars on 3 new Radians. Without an intensive review, the limited material that is our there is pretty accurate about the Radian. I think the 5 and 6 weights are simply the best fast action rods in those line weights that I have ever fished. Simply amazing. The 4 wt is tough for me because I tend to fish a lot of different situations with a 4weight. I still like my G2 8'-8 4 weight for most of the smaller stream fishing that is inside of 30 feet. The 4 line Radian is great for bigger water, heavier flies, wind, etc.. Overall superior rods.
Please add your thoughts on the Radian to the Radian thread in the Rod's section. I totally get what you are saying about 4 weight fast action rods. My favorite around rod is my four weight Scott G904/4, and I have another slower action three weight Winston WT. Slow-medium action and light line sizes seem to go well together.

Did you compare the Radian to ant other rods?

Thanks,

John

kuch

Reaction score
Please add your thoughts on the Radian to the Radian thread in the Rod's section. I totally get what you are saying about 4 weight fast action rods. My favorite around rod is my four weight Scott G904/4, and I have another slower action three weight Winston WT. Slow-medium action and light line sizes seem to go well together.

Did you compare the Radian to ant other rods?

Thanks,

John
As for others rods to compare, in the last few years I have owned and fished these fast action rods. Winston B3X, Sage One and Scott S4. In my opinion it fishes closest to the B3X in terms of feel but with more power if that makes sense. I never fished a Sage One that I liked at all. The S4 had no feel but lots of power. The Radian encompasses a lot in terms of casting feel and power in my opinion. The 5 and 6 line Radians really shine.

fireroad

Reaction score
Neither. I spent my hard earned dollars on 3 new Radians. Without an intensive review, the limited material that is our there is pretty accurate about the Radian. I think the 5 and 6 weights are simply the best fast action rods in those line weights that I have ever fished.
Congrats on your truly awesome purchase(s) :bowdown:! I hope I did not offend by insinuating you had an "in" with Scott. I'm just jealous in that even if i could afford all three rods, i could not pull off that purchase and avoid divorce papers :(

As for others rods to compare, in the last few years I have owned and fished these fast action rods. Winston B3X, Sage One and Scott S4. In my opinion it fishes closest to the B3X in terms of feel but with more power if that makes sense. I never fished a Sage One that I liked at all. The S4 had no feel but lots of power. The Radian encompasses a lot in terms of casting feel and power in my opinion. The 5 and 6 line Radians really shine.
I have some questions and comments, bbut will bring them up in the Radian rod thread as to not derail this thread any farther. Your additional input would be greatly appreciated!

I recently saw pics of the new darker finish Lamson Litespeed on a S4 an it looked pretty sweet.

Last edited:

kuch

Reaction score
I'll try to get some comments up in the other thread about the Radian.

Regarding my reel suggestions, the Abel models I noted as well as the Hatch really balance the rods perfectly.

smoothoz

Reaction score
I'm using a Lamson Lightespeed 1.5 on the 9 4wt Radian.

Seems to balance perfectly. You dont actually feel that the reels there and yet it sits rather nicely. Spooled up with Rio Gold hits the spot just right.:icon_razz

traditionalfisher

Reaction score
I'm using the Rene Harrop Hatch 4 Plus on the 9' 4 weight and it's a pretty perfect match. I wouldn't go too light as a little weight matches it well.

czando

Reaction score
I have an Abel 4N with cutthroat finish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

czando

Reaction score
I recently tried an Abel 5N on my five weight Radian instead of the 4N and I like it much better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk