Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default hardy marquis salmon reels

does anyone have an opinion on this reel? I was thinking on the bougle but that might out of my price range. any input would be awesome, thanks!
    river right

Blog Entries

Default Re: hardy marquis salmon reels

HI,

I have used them for silvers and large trout but found them inadequate for king salmon. If you are fishing for species that will top out around 12 pounds or so the Marquis II will handle things with some palm work. For big game I use disc reels like the old Orvis Vortex and Odyssey reels. I also have & use a Hardy Cascapedia Mk II and one of their new Uniqua large arbor reels which both have good drags.

The Marquis are classic and you'll never tire of seeing it on your rod but if you get into one of those kings that really takes off you better be wearing a glove

I catch a lot of salmon (silvers) and large trout using a Hardy Featherweight, anything can be done but if I expect salmon while trout fishing I now mount a CFO IV because of the palm rim. The Marquis will be nice, what are you mounting it on and for what will you fish?

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes N/A, caseywise liked this post

it will go on my dec hogen II 13 foot 7 weight, and maybe on my tfo 13,6 8/9. and steelhead will be my primary target, and the rare king

Quote Originally Posted by river right View Post
    it will go on my dec hogen II 13 foot 7 weight, and maybe on my tfo 13,6 8/9. and steelhead will be my primary target, and the rare king
    I just bought the HM Salmon 2 as a gift for Mrs Fysh along with a Decho '2' 12' 9" 6.5wt(tweener weight) and as soon as I put it on the rod it was quickly apparent it was too big, I've down sized it to a HM Salmon 1.

It will work on the 7wt, and it will be an even better fit on your 8/9 weight.

Blog Entries

You know me John, no such thing as a reel being too big

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I love the Marquis Salmon reels; looks,sound, and performance but I have only landed fish up to ~15lbs on it and I believe Ard when he says you'll want a good disc drag reel on bigger fish.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

fyshstykr, which do you think; the Marquis 1 or II would be a better fit for the Deathstar?
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

8. Likes Ard liked this post

Wannafish, it all depends on the size and type of line/heads your fishing. Which 'Deathstar" do you have?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    You know me John, no such thing as a reel being too big

Yup! And normally I tend to lean that direction too, but I had 250yds of 20# backing loaded and still had mega room left for running line and a scandi compact. everything just seemed too far out of proportion so I made the decision to go with the HM Salmon 2. Factor into the decision also....it's for a girl!

Ha, sorry I thought there was only one Deathstar; the 7wt 12"6" TCX! I have a Marquis I but I was thinking the II would be better suited to that rod until I saw your post about changing to the I from the Marquis II
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

so it seems that for steel this isn't a bad reel haha

yeah, sorry to kind of hijack your thread there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast