Hatch Love.....

onthehunt

Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for those who have Hatch reels, have photos of their Hatch reels, etc.

Here are a couple pictures of some of mine.....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That is quite the collection of Hatch Reels! I don't have that much dedication to one manufacturer so I applaud you for that.

Larry

onthehunt

Reaction score
That is quite the collection of Hatch Reels! I don't have that much dedication to one manufacturer so I applaud you for that.

Larry
I agree, there are a ton of great reels out there. That is why I started a Winston/Abel thread. I really want to start taking some Abel's home, but as I stated in that thread, it is hard to get away from Hatch!

They are great reels, with phenomenal drags, they are durable and for as simple as they look, they are purty!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Quite an impressive collection and mounted on great G.Loomis Streamdance rods on top of it! I agree with you that Hatch Reels are among the few elite makes along with Abel and a handful of others that get most everything right. I have two Hatch Reels, 5+ and 7+. The 7+ is a perfect match for my Scott S4s #8 both in balance, performance and aesthetics while 5+ belongs on my Sage Z-Axis #5 but has too much weight for my ONE #5, it gets a Nautilus.

Z-Axis and 5+ doing what they are supposed to do.

onthehunt

Reaction score
Quite an impressive collection and mounted on great G.Loomis Streamdance rods on top of it! I agree with you that Hatch Reels are among the few elite makes along with Abel and a handful of others that get most everything right. I have two Hatch Reels, 5+ and 7+. The 7+ is a perfect match for my Scott S4s #8 both in balance, performance and aesthetics while 5+ belongs on my Sage Z-Axis #5 but has too much weight for my ONE #5, it gets a Nautilus.

Z-Axis and 5+ doing what they are supposed to do.
Yeah, there are a mix of StreamDance, WhisperCreek, NRX and RoaringRiver rods. I really do like my Loomis sticks, but I think the next one or two will be Winstons. I am feeling the need to take a different adventure, thus the reason for the Abel thoughts as well!:eek:

axle27

Reaction score
I really hope you don't take this personally, but you suck. Kidding...

I want a Hatch so bad...

onthehunt

Reaction score
I really hope you don't take this personally, but you suck. Kidding...

I want a Hatch so bad...
LOL!

I've been called much worse, so its all good!

Keep an eye on the internet. While I have not purchased mine that way, I have a few friends that have and they have gotten some smoking deals!

shotgunfly

Reaction score
What?! No custom limited edition Hatch reels? ;-)

I was a big Hatch fan for a while. Ended up with 3 finatics, but after getting the Saracione and the GD limited Edition Abel, I'm not as jazzed about them. DGMW, they're worth the money and look sweet. And yes, I do marvel a bit when I put them on a rod.

I was drooling over one of the limited edition reels a few weeks ago. Then again, I'd rather drop that coin on a used Bogdan.

Anyway, I'll put some photos of mine up here soon.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I actually don't think that there are a lot of great reels out there; there are a few and Hatch is one of them.

Here is why: Hatch Reels are designed from scratch to be as good as a reel can be, designed and built in California, USA. The drag design maximizes surface sweep area by stacking discs of alternating stainless steel and a proprietary synthetic which are not stock parts, they are machined in house and enclosed in a maintenance free, compact housing that takes up rather minimal space in the reels large arbor design. This drag module is scalable; different diameter and number of discs relative to the size and line capacity or the reel and linear and fine tunable in it setting range. Along with the Abel Super Series, these reels are the only ones whose design is consistent and effective from trout to tarpon sizes. The spool is attached to the housing via a captive, threaded, knurled nut which can not be lost or broken and relies on no springs, levers or buttons that can potentially fail. The handle is comfortable, handsome and failure proof and, at least in larger sizes, features it own bearing. The counterbalance is flattened and rounded to preclude getting line caught up on it. The reel foot is machined as an integrated part of the housing frame, no screws to ever loosen and it looks really cool. Can it be bent and wouldn't that be hard to repair? I imagine that could be a problem; I have not seen one so damaged, have any of you?

Most important to me, the designers of Hatch Reels did a very cool thing. They measured the typical internal diameter of a stripping guide and its distance from the reel. They measured the oscillation of line under load between these two points and calculated the optimal with of the reel's spool to regain line most uniformly and intuitively. They employed engineering to make the reel fish best not embody some theoretical engineering principle as advanced by the makers of too wide and shallow aspect ratio reels.

Nothing is perfect and I have two issues with Hatch Reels. I am in the good habit of resetting my drag to "0" post fishing. On rare occasion the drag adjusting knob has gotten "stuck" at absolute minimum and I have had to crank it hard to unstick it! I do not understand what happens there but I have adjusted my behavior to set it to one click short of dead stop which eliminated this potential problem which I do not know if it is unique to my reel or more pervasive. Secondly, I like to lubricate my reels and there is no place to put grease or oil on these reels! I have solved that by applying a droplet of reel oil to the threading in the captive release knob; it doesn't need it but I get to do it anyway.

Compare any reel you fish to the ratio of positive versus negative characteristics of Hatch Reels, especially in sizes where the virtues of a potent drag system are applicable, and you will realize how few are its equal. And I have left aside to ones' personal tastes it handsome, modernists good looks and its availability in the two most important colors; black and not too bright clear aluminum (with complimenting varied colored drag modules).

onthehunt

Reaction score
Great and informative post sweets!

Since you like to post in depth, fact filled posts (which is a good thing), how would you compare the Hatch to Nautilus NV? I only bring this up as I know many folks like to compare these two reels, even thought he Nautilus seems to have a more prevalent following in the east and south east.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Thanks SWEETANDSALT...so that's what I was feeling today when I used the hatch :).

Thanks onthehunt for starting this thread. And if I may continue/start posting images of the Hatches in action... :)

I give you the Hatch 3+ Finatic, CF Burkheimer DAL Vintage 9' 5wt and one of God's little creatures...

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I give you the Hatch Finatic 5+, ZG Helios 9' 7wt, and a bighead LM bass

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
I like the Hatches just fine but went a different direction mainly because of the weight. The 7plus seemed just a smidge heavy for my 8wt but the 9plus seemed way overweight for my 10wt. I love the drag on them though, very smooth.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It is rare, Grouch, that I choose a reel then match a rod to it. I am inspired by a new rod I have acquired to get an appropriate performance, quality and, most importantly, balancing reel. It is the capacity and balancing weight of the reel that drives my selection. This is why I fish reels from several different makers and also how I have developed a critical comparative awareness of their relative virtues.

In seeking the "just right" reel for my new NRX #4 last spring, the best match I found was a Galvan Torque. I had never fished a Torque before and now, with a full season on it, my initial impressions are positive. I am not ready to write a "Love" thread though because one reel, trout fishing, provides insufficient data; I'll have to have the opportunity to take one bonefishing or nail some albies and bass with it before I can formulate an informed opinion. I will say this; it balances PERFECTLY with my NRX and is good looking too.

onthehunt

Reaction score
Some Hatch Love from the past couple of days.....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Grouch, I find the Hatch 7+ to be a perfect weight and aesthetic match on my S4s #8...the anodization is all but identical in color and matte finish as well. Just add Airflo Tropic Ridge.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Further, If you call Scott, they will tell you when and if they plan on doing a new run of Heliplys. They do a limited production run every few years to accommodate us fans of that unique model. Yes, in several ways S4s is "better" but not a substitute for Heliply. I like to have booth and they like different reels and line too. I have an Islander LX 3.8 on Heliply #8.