Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis CFO 1

1. Default Orvis CFO 1

Has anyone fished one of these? I am looking at one for my 3 wt. rod. I like the classic looks and they seem like a reasonable value for the price. I know the gear-disc drag may be less sturdy than other designs, but it is going on a 3 wt., and heck, I've used an old Hardy Sunbeam click and pawl drag for 30 years without any problems on my 6 weight rods, so this seems pretty high-tech. I have a couple of larger Galvans (OB3 and Rush) and love them, but they are significantly more money.

2. Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

You are dead on, on the classic look. I have the newer Bronze on my boo, but I also have the English made Spring Pawl model.
    They are a tough reel, a 3 wt. would be sweet.
    The popular Traditional Battenkill, the BBS and the Battenkill LA all have that gear disc drag, .....no problem.

Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

Hi Mhclayton,

Joni knows the Orvis reels a lot better than I do but have you considered the Battenkill Bar Stock. It would be lighter and cheaper. I have not used either one so have no first hand experience.

Frank

Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock

4. Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

Good point Frank. BBS got the CFO beat by .4 oz. Doesn't sound like a lot, but every little bit counts with the backing and line.

if you were blind folded could you tell the difference between .4 oz..i dont think, either reel will do the job...the cfo is is the classic reel along the lines of hardy, who made this reel for orvis for years..the bbs is a nice small reel with a great drage system..have had them both still have a bbs for my 3wt..a lot of systems are getting to light and hard to feel right..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

6. Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    if you were blind folded could you tell the difference between .4 oz..i dont think, either reel will do the job...the cfo is is the classic reel along the lines of hardy, who made this reel for orvis for years..the bbs is a nice small reel with a great drage system..have had them both still have a bbs for my 3wt..a lot of systems are getting to light and hard to feel right..

EXACTLY. That was tongue in cheek. However, I know one guy who will swear he can tell the difference ;-)
    It is basically down to which look. The CFO designed by Hardy was the Spring/Pawl, which are very rare to find these days. Detectable by rivets or bolts on the back of the reel.

I use one on my 7'9" 2 wt orvis ---i love it---but i like hardys too
    "something is happening here but i dont know what it is"---dylan

8. Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

The CFO will be fine. IMHO, much prettier than than the BBS and I really doubt four tenths of an ounce will matter.

The reel has been around since the early seventies. The original prototype made by Stan Bogdan of NH is at the American Museum of Fly Fishing. For the first twenty years it was made for Orvis by Hardy, then with Orvis' aquisition of British Reel Works it continued to be made by Orvis in England along with some other popular reels like Sci Anglers System reels. The last couple of years find it being made in Asia.

Just an aside... the name came from Charles F. Orvis' initials.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Have been using English made CFO reels for years, never had a problem
    with them.
    One would be very nice on a light weight rod. Don't think you would regret it.

10. Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

Thanks to all for your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast